Who has used the Assimil books and software..?

John   Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:19 pm GMT
I have been looking in to maybe buying a Assimil book with the audio to learn a language. Has any of you guys used or are using one..? What are your thoughts on these..?
Jonh   Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:07 am GMT
No one uses it..? come on there must be some people that use it..?
Magdalena   Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:05 am GMT
Hi,

I recently bought Assimil to teach myself Italian, but I haven't really started using it so I don't think I can help you. But I recommend you check out some youtube links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn2Uhq1wP6c
One of a couple of videos by Luca from Italy who used Assimil to teach himself 5 or 6 languages. He talks about it in one of his videos on his channel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLvTEqXqlsI&feature=related
here's a review of the Assimil series by a prominent linguist.
I hope this helped!
John   Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:44 am GMT
Thank you Magdalena, Yes I have seen the videos on Youtube, as well as others.

I have looked on the learning language forums as well, everyone of the people that can speak 5,6,7 and more languages use Assimil as the main base for their studies, guys like Luca [ A Polyglot ] say that the Assimil method is the best method there is for teaching your self any language.!

I would rather listen / believe what a polyglot says than read the B*** S*** false promises from the sites that sell other Books / Programs and software.

I will buy a copy with the audio cd's today.

Thanks again Magdalena.
Magdalena   Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:09 am GMT
You're right. Even thought you have access to all that information it's hard to know whom to belive. Btw, what language do you want to learn?
John   Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:30 pm GMT
Yeah Magdalena, too much information with false promises.haha..

I have been teaching my self Spanish off and on for the last couple of years, I am not a beginner [ maybe Intermediate ] I feel like I am going around in circles though, trying this method and that method, my problem is jumping around from this program to that program and not staying with the one program.

There are so many / books / software and audio programs that you can use it's crazy, but so many of them won't even get you passed the basics, never mind the Intermediate level.

One program / software springs to mind : Rosetta Stone Spanish 1, 11, 111, Castillano It teaches you basic words which are ok but when it comes to constructing sentences it gives stupid examples like: The dog is sat under the plane..? I'm sure I could use that in everyday speech eh..? hahaa..

I actually live in Madrid so the Spanish I teach my self is the Spanish from Spain [ not Latin American ] so I have to be careful about which program I buy, the Assimil Spanish with ease is to learn Castillano so it's just what I need.

I will have to maybe flick through the first lessons though and go straight too the ones I don't understand.

So you want to learn Italian Magdalena..? Give the Assimil book a try and see if you can teach your self a good standard of Italian.

Where are you from Magdalena..?
Magdalena   Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:44 pm GMT
I never used Rosetta Stone and I actually have heard that it is not too good (I've heard it from Youtube people so there might be some truth in it). But anyway whatever you chose, sticking to only few books is better then buying new stuff all the time. That's what I do at least. I buy new books thinking that this particular one has something that the others don't. It doesn't work, I just get distracted. But I have to confess that I don't really plan to learn Italian any time soon ;). I concentrate on french right now and portuguese would be next (I know some portuguese and I don't want to start any new language before I reach a decent level in port.). And I'm from Poland.
John   Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:03 pm GMT
Your so right Magdalena, I do that myself I think yeah maybe this book or that book has the secret miracle to learn, but no there is no magic way at all..!!

Different methods help different people so it's finding a method that's suits every person, I hope this one is the one for me.!

I think it's best to just do one language at once unless you want to be a polyglot, and have so many hours in each day to study, I don't have the passion that much.

Your from Poland Magdalena..? your English is very very good..!!! When I lived in England I work with some Polish guys, they are good people and very good workers..!!! plus they learn English very fast..!!!
Magdalena   Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:35 am GMT
I guess I will give Assimil a try and just see where it gets me. They say half an hour a day is enough. I think I can squeeze that amount of time in my schedule. I can do it in a relaxed manner and just enjoy the process. :)
John   Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:49 pm GMT
Yeah Magdalena, Half an hour a day is not much to put in to study, like you say give it a try and see how far you can get with it.

Happy studies.
Matematik   Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:54 pm GMT
I quite like Assimil, it's a completely different method from traditional course books, and you learn a hell of a lot of vocabulary from it. The closest commonly known method that I can think of is Pimsleur, although the fact its book based results in a lot more material than merely audio based.

Some might find it too unstructured, however. While difficult grammar points are mentioned, you're expected to do a certain amount of working out for yourself, at at the start you might feel you're just learning phrases which won't be grammatically explained till later.

It's a good method, but I suppose it takes some geting into.
Magdalena   Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:37 pm GMT
Did you use it to learn any particular language? Did it get you to a decent level? And decent I mean when you can start using "real-language" recourses like magazine, tv, etc.
JJ   Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:42 pm GMT
SPAM!!!!!!!! SPAM!!!!!!!!