Do you think Mandarin will ever become a world language?

Lala   Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:56 pm GMT
In the way that French, German, Russian (and even Japanese to a certain extent) once were?

Do you think Chinese can soon outpace French and Spanish in the United States?
Irony   Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:12 pm GMT
Hmmmmm, it could do, but first the Chinese need to make it a lot less shit.
They should stop being dirty cunts too while they are at it.
Anyway thats my view.
crunch   Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:43 pm GMT
Maybe it will be important for a while like Russian but China is the kind of nation that can't sustain itself. Its fleeting grandeur will crumble and it will sink back into the thousand year oblivion like always.
L.L.   Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:52 pm GMT
<<Do you think Chinese can soon outpace French and Spanish in the United States?>>

Never. Students want to pass the easiest subject. If they can choose between Spanish and Chinese NO ONE will choose the Asian language.

You can see that in Europe. French students prefer to study English and Spanish. Almost no one study German because it is more difficult than English and Spanish.

The difficulty of a language is the most important point to take into account for students around the World.
Jordan   Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:58 pm GMT
No. It will never outpace the other languages because of it's difficulty. Who would want to learn a language that deals with thousands of written characters? Not me.

European languages are more practicle.
K.K.   Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:52 pm GMT
<<Do you think Chinese can soon outpace French and Spanish in the United States?>>

Never. Students want to pass the easiest subject. If they can choose between French and Chinese NO ONE will choose the Asian language.

You can see that in Europe. Spanish students prefer to study English, French and German. Almost no one study Spanish because it is more grammatically more difficult than English, French, and German.

The difficulty in grammar of a language is the most important point to take into account for students around the World.
PARISIEN   Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:37 am GMT
.. Quand la Chine sera totalement développée (ce qui n'est pas encore le cas) son poids économique et démographique sera 6 fois celui du Japon.

Et l'importance du chinois sera 6 fois celle actuelle du japonais, c.à.d. 6 X un peu plus que zéro...

Le chinois ne sera JAMAIS un acteur majeur.

.. When China will be a fully developed country (which is not yet the case) its economic and demographic weight will be 6 times higher that Japan's.

And the significance of the Chinese language will be six times higher that Japanese, i.e. 6 times little more than zero...

Chinese will NEVER be a major player.
crunch   Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:56 am GMT
<<.. When China will be a fully developed country (which is not yet the case) its economic and demographic weight will be 6 times higher that Japan's.

And the significance of the Chinese language will be six times higher that Japanese, i.e. 6 times little more than zero...

Chinese will NEVER be a major player. >>

Not to mention that China will never be a fully developed country.
PARISIEN   Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:11 am GMT
>> Not to mention that China will never be a fully developed country. <<

-- Hypothèse à prendre en considération, en effet.
(sécheresse, pollution, crise sociale, réaction protectionniste sur les marchés export etc.)

-- Which is worth to be taken in consideration, indeed.
(drought, pollution, social crisis, protectionist reaction on the export markets etc.)
Yu   Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:49 pm GMT
As a Chinese myself, I wish English could replace Mandarin as lingua franca of China because Mandarin, a hybrid language between Han, Manchurian and Mongolian, doesn't represent the real culture of the China and it is just a suppression of Northerner to the southern Chinese culture, which has longer history than Mandarin itself. Even Japanese language, which pronunciation sounds similar to Hakka and Min, retains more real Chinese culture than Mandarin. Many Chinese themselves regard Mandarin as language of barbarian (胡言).