Why does English have the most variation in pronunciation

Trimac20   Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:48 am GMT
Compared to other languages? I mean a Spanish speaker, no matter where they're from, seems to pronounce words exactly the same. While a Yorkshireman and someone from the deep South of America sound like they're speaking two different languages!
BB   Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:10 am GMT
You probably haven't heard Dutch before? A country hardly bigger than 300km radius has got so many dialects, people need subtitles to understand people living not further than a 100km from you.
Ross   Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:52 am GMT
Yeah, and Spanish accent definitely do vary. I think perhaps you just don't notice the variations in Spanish as much because either you don't have an ear for the language or you just haven't heard enough of the different accents.
uk   Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:41 am GMT
There are more different accents than what you think in England.

Scotland.

Newcastle.

Liverpool.

Yorkshire.

Birmingham.

London.

They all sound very different and have the local slang as well, It must be difficult for someone that is learning English and hearing all the differences of the accents.
Damian South Croydon   Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:53 am GMT
You said this:

<<<There are more different accents than what you think in England.

Scotland>>>

What exactly do you mean by this strange statement? And while you're at it, please explain why you felt you had to include the word "what"?
Uk   Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:47 am GMT
It's about the different accents, not my shite grammar, so do one Damian South Croyden.. bye now.