Spelling

Education   Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:58 am GMT
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/5538890/Definitely-is-most-commonly-misspelt-word.html

Not the word I would have imagined to be the most misspelt word to be honest, interesting.

Connoisseur tends to often "get" me.
blanc   Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:35 am GMT
Are you celebrating the first anniversary of the article being published (even though 6 days later or what?
Another Guest   Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:14 pm GMT
I wonder how much of that is due to pronunciation. Do people pronounce it "definately"?
Robin Michael   Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:05 am GMT
You might find 'The Times' spelling bee helpful.

http://www.timesspellingbee.co.uk/

Brought to you by the same company that owns Fox News.
K   Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:01 am GMT
A british website? They inherently spell words like color incorrectly, why would you even bother to check it up?
Veritas   Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:26 am GMT
I think that mobile phones are a contributing factor to poor spelling if not the major culprit.
Pete   Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:56 am GMT
Why do so many people misspell "misspell"? They spell it "mispell". That would mean "to pell incorrectly?". It's ironic that a very commonly misspelled word is "misspell" itself.
Pete   Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:57 am GMT
That would mean "to pell incorrectly.".

Correction.
crunch   Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:02 am GMT
The reason people spell incorrectly these days has nothing to do with the internet or phones and everything to do with the fact that spelling that spelling is hardly taught at all these days. It may sound strange, but even spelling falls within the range of the PC agenda. The "there's no wrong answer, what's important is participation" philosophy means that spelling wrong is okay and that all ways of spelling are equal. Also, criticising someone for spelling incorrectly is too harsh and could cause emotional traumas in children and make them feel dejected and inferior. And finally, difficult spelling means it's harder for immigrants to learn it, which prevents them from feeling welcome in the country, so we must be tolerant to their spelling mistakes.
Tutor   Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:37 am GMT
----> You might find 'The Times' spelling bee helpful.

http://www.timesspellingbee.co.uk/

Looks like a great page, thanks for the tip.
Another Guest   Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:11 am GMT
Pete
<<Why do so many people misspell "misspell"? They spell it "mispell". That would mean "to pell incorrectly?". It's ironic that a very commonly misspelled word is "misspell" itself.>>
It's not like it's unusual that putting two pieces together results in a word that's spelled differently from how the two pieces are spelled individually.
lie+ing=lying
argue+ment=argument
I don't think that it's unreasonable for someone to wonder whether "misspell" is an example of a word that isn't spelled "logically".

crunch
<<The "there's no wrong answer, what's important is participation" philosophy means that spelling wrong is okay and that all ways of spelling are equal.>>
That should be "spelling incorrectly". And I think that education is certainly a big part, but you have to wonder at why someone, even if they haven't learned how to spell a word in school, can't be bothered to look it up, especially when it's so easy these days.