Who are your favorite English-speaking writers?

Belij   Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:18 pm GMT
Mine are Virginia Woolf, D. H. Lawrence, John Galsworthy and Thomas Hardy.

Do you prefer British or American authors? Prose or poetry? Any specific periods?
Darrr   Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:23 am GMT
Stephen King.

British writers get on my nerves since they can't even write correct English.
tanneyk   Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:57 am GMT
American: Pearl S. Buck (I highly recommend reading "The Good Earth") and Steinbeck

English: Jane Austin and C.S. Lewis and James Herriot
Barney   Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:44 am GMT
H.P. Lovecraft.
Matematik   Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:18 am GMT
<<British writers get on my nerves since they can't even write correct English. >>

Americans really do live in their own little world, what a nation of insular dumbfucks. You live in your own bubble to the extent you play your very own sports no-one gives a fuck about and write in this peculiar form of English no one else does.
Matematik   Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:21 am GMT
James Herbert is a better horror writer than Stephen King anyway.
Math   Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:41 am GMT
There is plenty of writers other than those from America and England worth looking into.

Expand your horizons people.
Irony   Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:52 pm GMT
No.

The topic was favourite English writers. Why the fuck should I do what you say?
Matematik   Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:58 pm GMT
<<There is plenty of writers other than those from America and England worth looking into. >>

Unless you can read a book in another language to native-proficiency, translations are merely shallow interpretations of the author's original work.

Also, to truly enjoy literature, in most cases it is assumed that you are familiar with the culture the book has come from, if you are not most of it will be lost on you.

A prime example being Bulgakov. I'm sure the Master and Margarita is a fantastic novel, but unless you have a deep understanding of the Soviet Union, or were born in the Soviet Union you won't understand what the fuck he's on about half the time.
balts   Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:58 pm GMT
I think Jane Austen is perfect. I notice that people who have just finished reading her start talking like her, inadvertently or not.
Belij   Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:02 pm GMT
"A prime example being Bulgakov. I'm sure the Master and Margarita is a fantastic novel, but unless you have a deep understanding of the Soviet Union, or were born in the Soviet Union you won't understand what the fuck he's on about half the time. "

M&M was finished in 1930. You don't need to know much aside from your basic history to understand it. It's a book that transcends social commentary tied to a specific place and time; that's why it's considered to be great.

If you want something that will shed some light on it, however, you should read "A Dog's Heart." I think it's the book to start Bulgakov with.
Darrr   Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:16 pm GMT
>>>Americans really do live in their own little world, what a nation of insular dumbfucks. You live in your own bubble to the extent you play your very own sports no-one gives a fuck about and write in this peculiar form of English no one else does.

I'm not American and I'm not even going to argue with you.
merda   Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:23 pm GMT
Joseph Conrad
Asianman   Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:26 pm GMT
Speaking of Conrad, do you guys remember this thread?

http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t15466.htm
Math   Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:09 pm GMT
>>> Unless you can read a book in another language to native-proficiency, translations are merely shallow interpretations of the author's original work.<<<

There will always be things lost in translation, both in speech and writing. that's the price you pay.

I don't mind engaging in conversations with people whose native tongue isn't English either, things will be lost here and there but that doesn't mean I don't engage in conversations.