Devoicing

Young-Won Kim   Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:43 am GMT
(Forum) Group: Comparative phonetics

The (comparative) study (in the structure/mode/way of phonetics, pronunciation, articulation, or whatever; that is, in the difference of speaking mouth postures and resultant speaking weight/force center points) between English/foreign languages and the mother tongue, for better (more practical/effective/smooth) hearing/speaking of English/foreign languages.

Please visit the following site and click/participate the group (board/description) “comparative phonetics” (below.) * academici admission; free of charge.

http://www.academici.com/net/lingistics
http://www.academici.com/cgi-bin/forum.fpl?op=showforum&id=7681
Guest   Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:59 am GMT
***Spam deletion imminent***
Loch   Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:07 pm GMT
<<Unfortunately, neither IPA nor X-SAMPA provide any useful diacritics for marking half-voicing as opposed to true full devoicing proper>>

Travis,

That's because no language phonemically contrasts both fully voiced and fully devoiced consonants with half voiced consonants.
Travis   Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:17 pm GMT
>><<Unfortunately, neither IPA nor X-SAMPA provide any useful diacritics for marking half-voicing as opposed to true full devoicing proper>>

Travis,

That's because no language phonemically contrasts both fully voiced and fully devoiced consonants with half voiced consonants. <<

The matter here, though, is that IPA is used for not only phonemic transcription but also *phonetic* transcription, and also IPA and X-SAMPA already contain dedicated symbols for phones which are supposedly not actually phonemes proper in any (sufficiently researched) language, such as [F] in X-SAMPA and its counterpart in IPA. Therefore, it is hard to justify the lack of any kind of markings for half-voicing in IPA and X-SAMPA on such grounds alone.
Loch   Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:35 pm GMT
<<The matter here, though, is that IPA is used for not only phonemic transcription but also *phonetic* transcription, and also IPA and X-SAMPA already contain dedicated symbols for phones which are supposedly not actually phonemes proper in any (sufficiently researched) language, such as [F] in X-SAMPA and its counterpart in IPA. Therefore, it is hard to justify the lack of any kind of markings for half-voicing in IPA and X-SAMPA on such grounds alone.>>

Yeah, but symbols for phones that are actually phonemes in some languages are most important for IPA and X-sampa inclusion. That's why you see less things that are not phonemic in any language in the IPA.
aniaq   Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:20 pm GMT
Hi eveybody !:)

I have just learnd some processes which occures in English pronunciation and I'm not English would you be so kind and show me simple examples of assimilation ,compresion, elision ,preglotalization,devoicing and glotal stop.
I have some examples but i need more and I want to be sure are they all correct,it wuld be better if someone from England could give me them.If not all only few will be enough.Thanks in advance.