affectionate mode of addressing to men

Irina   Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:47 am GMT
There are so many affectionate words and names to address girls and women in English, but when it turns to addressing men, I simply get confused. i'm not a native English speaker, and translations from my native language don't give much... most of the words we use in Russian are translated as sweetheart or dear, but that's a bit boring and trite, isn't it? Can anyone, please, give me some hints on this subject?
Cody   Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:48 am GMT
My suggestion is you should think of some allusion like muffin or cuddly bear
Trust   Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:28 pm GMT
Hey Irina,

There are some words which can be used globally irrespective of sex. Love, Dear, Honey, Sweetheart, all these words can be used on guys too. (however, with respect to relation)

Thanks
HelMel   Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:12 am GMT
Trust, I guess, Irina needs something less common, not "trite" like she says.
Uriel   Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:19 am GMT
I don't think most terms of affection in English are all that gender-specific for either sex, Irina. But you could call your husband "hubby" for short, and that would be affectionate. Not gushingly so, but ....
Guest   Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:59 pm GMT
She has the right to come here, to the west if she wants. We have loads of money and should share.
Uriel   Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:00 pm GMT
As far as I know, Irina has never expressed any desire to "comeover here"; she just had a simple question. Sheesh.
p.c.   Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:01 pm GMT
"As far as I know, Irina has never expressed any desire to "comeover here"; "
That is what she wants you to think. From my experience of slavs, in my opinion, they're not to be trusted.
Uriel   Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:47 am GMT
Hmmm. Don't you belong on the other page, p.c.? They're full of those kinds of attitudes there -- you'll fit right in.
p.c.   Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:11 pm GMT
"Hmmm. Don't you belong on the other page, p.c.? They're full of those kinds of attitudes there -- you'll fit right in."
Please tell me the page, if you don't mind. I'd like to listen to someone with sense.
Boy   Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:04 pm GMT
yesterday i was wataching a movie called 'mystic river' and a conversation between a couple went like this.

husband: can't i tell you my fucking story?

wife: sorry, babe.

you see, you can also use 'babe' as an affection way of calling your husband. i always used to think that the word 'babe' was reserved only for a female gender but i was surprized to hear it for a male gender as well.
Uriel   Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:28 pm GMT
No, "babe" is a very neutral term. That's what I meant about endearments not being very gender-specific in English -- sweetie, sugar, love, honey, baby, angel, sweetheart, dear, etc. all go both ways.
wow   Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:00 pm GMT
Hello, to fix this you want to go into the program and then click the Menu button, then click Suite Manager, then in there- delete any channels listed.Then click the ADD button and click pretty much it has to do with one of the settings in there, you must add each one- composite-compsite/svideo and after adding each one test for color- but after you add each one and they don't work delete the channel it creates, then go back into it and add it again, but this time check the SVIDEO box at the bottom of that add composite or Svideo/composite screen. You should get color after trying these options.
Irina   Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:18 pm GMT
Uriel,
thanks for your advice and understanding, i guess that's a good way out. hey, i heard a girl call her boyfriend "pookie". what does that mean?
Guest   Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:38 pm GMT
"on people who are often smarter and more tallented... who manage to master other languages not being native speakers"
At least you're not too modest. Boast about yourself somemore and by the way, I also have a second language and hopefully there will be more to come.