Recording yourself as a source of comprehensible input

Mitch   Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:34 pm GMT
Antimoon and many successful learners encourage the use of authentic materials (both written and spoken) for input, and some, like Steve K, encourage usings recordings along with a transcript. But it is often hard to get authentic material that has both an audio and written component.

Since getting interesting written material is relatively easy, has anyone tried--or heard of others who have tried--doing their own recordings? Granted, one's accent may not be quite native-like, but if one can speak clearly and fairly accurately, is there any problem with listening to one's own recordings? Actors do this to memorize lines, and language learners do this to test their pronunciation, but I've never seen anything written about using one's own recording of authentic material as a source of input.
James   Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:06 pm GMT
Barry Farber, who wrote How to Learn Any Language, recommended recording new words and their translations for review, but I've never seen anything on recording a text for your own listening. Sounds interesting. Anyone else's thoughts on this?
Boy   Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:20 pm GMT
<<Since getting interesting written material is relatively easy, has anyone tried--or heard of others who have tried--doing their own recordings?>>

I had recorded some pages of an English novel(my favorite one) in my voice and I did this thing for next three days but I finally gave up on this particular idea because my voice wasn't native like and it was so 'boring to hear my voice over and over again. I had rather spent the same time on listening to real native like speakers on TV.