Pronunciation of 'France'

Pete   Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:50 am GMT
<<Adam, I usually say "FrAnce" and I'm not even English. I'm a RP speaker from Greece as you probably already know. I would imagine that a person of your superior knowledge, culture, and intellect would also be an RP speaker, regardless of where in England you're from. Of course, in RP, "France" takes broad 'a' and not flat 'a'. When addressing certain speakers, however, I'll posh down my accent and say "France" (flat 'a') instead. Most British people think I sound quite posh and foreigners... well, they find my accent ultra-posh British.>>

Jason, would you please send a rocording of yourself speaking? It'll be very interesting to hear you.
Jason   Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:18 pm GMT
Pete, that is a nice idea, but I prefer to talk to people face to face. I prefer not to record my voice lest the recording should wind up in the wrong hands. Besides, one doesn't sound the same when he knows he is being recorded as he does in natural everyday speech. I don't mind talking on the phone but I'm not so crazy as to give out my number on a public message forum.

Ademas, hablo espanol tambien sin ningun accento extranjero. Siempre se dice que mi accento es castellano. No se lo puedo verificar a Ud. pero tiene que tener confianza en lo que digo por el presente. Prefiero no grabar mi voz por razones personales que ya he explicado en ingles. Una grabacion, si se cae en manos malos, se podra utilizar de manera equivocada.
Guest   Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:49 pm GMT
"I come from the North West of England, and we pronounce France is a short A than a long A."
I thought you were welsh.
Loch   Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:56 pm GMT
I pronounce "France" as /fre@ns/.
Loch   Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:58 pm GMT
<<"I come from the North West of England, and we pronounce France is a short A than a long A."
I thought you were welsh.>>

Who pronounces "France" as /freIns/? I assume that is what you would mean by a long A.
Damian in Scotland   Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:32 pm GMT
It's "Fr-aaahn-s" up here.....more of an longer open vowel sound than the Southern English long vowel variety [Fra:ns] and not like the Northern English version of pronouncing France with just a short sharp A [Fr@ns]
Guest   Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:39 pm GMT
Damian in Scotland, wouldn't be surprised what way you would say it.
Johannes   Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:42 pm GMT
Thankyou people for your help.

I'm trying to research on the history of French pronunciation of words that have entered the English language and the development of moving from the orginal pronunciation.

I'm aware of reasons why the British Spelling is different from the American Spelling one of the reasons due to a move from French pronunciation to their unique pronunciation thus spelling changes to cope with the 'new' pronunciation usually adopted mostly by Americans. Am I right to say this?

Another thing I have notice though English has adopted alot of French words into their language they managed to develop their own pronuncation for most of these words which to me still sound quite Germanic. As a German I would simply call it (nicer sounding Dutch) well I'm only 14 years old and still learning English.

Once again please forgive me for my bad English. I'm trying really hard to learn English so I hopefully be choosen to represent my school as an Exchange student in England.

Please feel free to correct my statements, grammar or spelling if need be.

Goodday.
Benjamin   Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:08 am GMT
Your English seems perfect to me — it's exceptional if you're only 14. Well done!
Johannes   Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:25 am GMT
Thanks Benjamin. It means alot to me. I just need to practice my speaking though.

I quite enjoy calling British Telekom (is that how you spell it) and practice my English with an operator whom we became friends over the months.

I live in a small town in Western Germany near the Dutch border and their ain't many people here who speaks English fluently other from a couple of British teachers who makes seasonal visits to my school. Most times we would just watch videos with no interaction with native English speakers.

There are times I would make a visit to the Dutch side and speak English with a elderly man who speaks fluent English. He was educated in England during WWII as a translater for the British forces. His job was to maintain contact with the Dutch underground. His stories were quite interesting and I listened to them in English (it was his way of teaching me English) and I would write words I didn't understand and research them.

I try to embrace as much English learning as possible using what limited resources I have.
Benjamin   Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:50 am GMT
It's called <British Telecom> not <British Telekom> you fucking Nazi idiot.

Forget what I said before - your English sucks.
Johannes   Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:56 am GMT
Please don't insult me. I know Germany has a past that I am ashamed of. Don't assume we all like that please Benjamin.

I'm sorry if I have offended you with the Spelling mistake. I will ask the person incharge of Antimoon to correct my last post.
american nic   Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:59 am GMT
Hey, no worries Johannes, Benny seems a tad...strong...it was an honest mistake. I think it's great that you get the chance to speak to a fluent English speaker, and get to have native English teachers (even if it is for a short time). I'm currently learning German in school (I'm still a beginner). Unfortunately, I don't have the opportunities to converse with native German speakers, and my teacher, although better at speaking German than I am, is American and definitely not fluent. Appreciate the opportunities you have, and don't let people with anger-management issues get you down.
Stan   Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:01 am GMT
Way to go Benjamin!, calling a 14 year old a "fucking Nazi idiot." I guess etiquette is of little value in this forum.
Johannes   Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:18 am GMT
Thanks for the comments Nic. I'm abit upset by the comments made by Benjamin in his earlier post. I know he was correcting my spelling but I think that was abit extreme.