Nur kein Wort vom Krieg

Guest   Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:01 pm GMT
what does this mean ?
greg   Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:12 pm GMT
Gjones2   Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:14 pm GMT
Auf Englisch:

The Fawlty Towers episode that apparently gave rise to the slogan was an especially amusing one. When some German tourists came to his hotel, the bungling hotel manager played by John Cleese made a special effort not to bring up the war. Of course, by keeping this constantly on his mind he ended up doing just the opposite (including goose steps – Stechschritte -- and an imitation of Hitler).
Fredrik from Norway   Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:54 pm GMT
Guest:
Nur kein Wort vom Krieg =Just no word about the war = Just don't mention the war

greg:
Very interesting link! It's really outrageous how Germans in the 50s denied what had just happened. I wonder why? They were either still Nazis or they were so shocked by what they had done that they were unable to talk about it out of shame or fear of going crazy.
That the school books didn't mention much of it either might also have been caused by the fear that all children would start to hate their parents and grand-parents when they learned what they had done.
Ave Caesar   Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:06 pm GMT
Fredrik from Norway - obviously. Some of them are still denying to this day! My last visit to Bavaria revelled some shocking…oh god! Many Germans are still admiring Hitler in secret! They said the Poles could mot defend themselves because they’ve had tanks made out of cardboard, and the French surrendered like cowards. Personally I wanted to spit at them, disgusting.

Nur kein Wort vom Krieg ? No way ! Germans will live with this complex till the end of the world !
Fredrik from Norway   Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:18 pm GMT
Ave Caesar:
Really? Well, who did you talk to? University students or Neo-Nazis?
Old or young people?