Bronx

Fredrik from Norway   Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:58 am GMT
Did you know that the New York borough Bronx was named after Jonas Bronck, a Swedish-born former inhabitant of the Faroese Islands, who settled there in 1639?
Tiffany   Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:39 am GMT
Interesting as the Bronx definitely does not symbolize anything related to Swedish people for me. I think I'll remember it. It's just one of those random facts that comes to mind when I can't remember where I left my keys five minutes ago...
Fredrik from Norway   Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:18 am GMT
Brennus:
I have read both that Bronck was born in Sweden and that he was born in Copenhagen of Swedish parents. In the time of the Danish-Norwegian union (1380-1814) the Faroese Islands were also Danish. He married in Amsterdam

According to Wikipedia Vitus Bering was born in Horsens in North Jutland in Denmark. His last name implies that his parents were not peasants, so they might have belonged to the commercial-administrative elite, which often had family connections in both countries.
By the way his first name sounds more Swedish than Danish.

They both share some of the fate of the Norwegian-born admiral of czar Peter the Great, Cornelius Cruys (1655-1727). He also lived many years in the Netherlands, where he even changed his into Dutch from the Norwegian Niels Olsen.
Sander   Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:48 pm GMT
Dutch wikipedia states that he was a Dutch born swede....
Guest   Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:26 pm GMT
mmmhh......Interesting!