What language is easiest for Spanish Speakers to understand?

Freppe   Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:03 am GMT
THe title says it all.
euro   Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:27 am GMT
catalan and portuguese, italian , romanian and french .
Freppe   Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:33 am GMT
Romanian? French? No way José! They are completely unintelligible!
Pedro   Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:36 am GMT
<Romanian? French? No way José! They are completely unintelligible! >

they are unintelligible only if you are mentally retarded and dyslexic !
Freppe   Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:34 am GMT
By the way, I mean listening not reading.
Catalanòfon   Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:37 am GMT
In Catalan it would be: "Quina llàstima!" and "Tinc fam".
Guest   Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:42 am GMT
if you can understand catalan, so you can understand french.
Guest   Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:20 pm GMT
Portuguese, Italian, French and Romanian
Somebody   Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:46 pm GMT
Spainish.
juan   Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:15 pm GMT
brazilian
Guest   Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:16 am GMT
This is something no one knew, did you know Sander and Tiffany are black?
nes perez   Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:06 am GMT
Ladino-Spanish of course, as was mentioned, but few people have ever been exposed to that.

Asturianu is a spanish dialect (language?? ive never heard it spoken but have seen examples of it written and it seems closely intelligible, though not 100%, but more so than galician).

Galician is generally pretty intelligible, I have lots of family in Galicia and usually understand 60-70% of a newscast or a conversation, more or less depending on speaker and topic.

Brazilian portuguese is tricky. If it is spoken slowly and clearly, or fluently by Americans/south americans (or other foreigners) as a second language, most Spanish speakers can understand a great deal (and the same for written). But Iberian portuguese or 'slum' portuguese (for lack of better term) definitely impairs intelligibility.

French and Romanian are not that intelligible to Spanish speakers, although i think Romanian is somewhat more than french.

Catalán is also not as intelligible as people claim...I haven't heard much of the language but from what I'm heard it sounds about as intelligible as Italian (to me).
Catalanòfon   Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:21 am GMT
Brennus
Quina llàstima is the correct classic Catalan usage. On the other hand, it is absolutely impossible to say "fame" in Catalan since Catalan drops those final vowels.
No comments.
Catalanòfon   Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:35 am GMT
A simple search in Google gives 576 "Què llàstima!" and and 16,200 "Quina llàstima!".

I hope it's clear now what the correct Catalan usage is.
Guest   Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:03 am GMT