r as /P/?

Sho   Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:38 pm GMT
According to the wikipedi x-sampa page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-SAMPA), /P/ (labiodental approximant) can be an allophone of English phoneme /r\/.

I've never heard /P/ used for English /r\/. Does anyone have any further information on this matter?

Thanks in advance.
Kendra   Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:48 pm GMT
I don't understand when they say that american intervocalic T is read as [r]: writer [rair@r]. It does not make any sense to me
Kirk   Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:37 pm GMT
<<According to the wikipedi x-sampa page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-SAMPA), /P/ (labiodental approximant) can be an allophone of English phoneme /r\/.

I've never heard /P/ used for English /r\/. Does anyone have any further information on this matter?
>>

I haven't heard of [P] (alternately transcribed as /v\/ in X-SAMPA) as an allphone of /r\/ either.

<<I don't understand when they say that american intervocalic T is read as [r]: writer [rair@r]. It does not make any sense to me>>

It says American intervocalic /t/ is [4] (the rule is a bit more complex than thatm actually). [r] is an alveolar trill, not used in American English.
Jim   Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:00 am GMT
Wikipedia seems to have further information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labiodental_approximant

"English may have the labiodental approximant as a realisation of /r/. Although traditionally regarded as an idiosyncrasy, speech defect, or infantilism, use of labiodental /r/ is increasing in many accents of British English (see papers in Foulkes and Docherty 1999). As a realisation of /r/, it may not always be labiodental: bilabial and velarised labiodental realisations have been reported (see Foulkes and Docherty 1999, Wells 1982). English speakers may also use it to pronounce place names in languages that do use it, such as Hawai‘ian Wahiawa."

I'd never heard of this either but it would seem that whoever wrote this had decent sources to back it up.
SpaceFlight   Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:09 am GMT
I have never heard of [P] as an allophone of /r\/ either.
Mxsmanic   Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:23 pm GMT
In the U.S., this is heard only among children or those with speech defects. Barbara Walters, a famous American interviewer of celebrities, has this pronunciation and it has given rise to endless unflattering parodies of her speech. It sounds infantile to most Americans. The cartoon character Elmer Fudd also has this pronunciation ("you cwazy wabbit!").
Guest   Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:53 am GMT
<<I haven't heard of [P] (alternately transcribed as /v\/ in X-SAMPA) as an allphone of /r\/ either.>> '

I've never heard of that either. Doesn't [P] represent the "p" sound in "pin"? It looks like it does at least.
Sho   Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:17 am GMT
Guest,
no, [P] is different from [p], and as Kirk said, [P] is an alternative of [v\].

Thanks everyone for your replies. Come to think of it, I think I've heard some children pronounce [r] like [w], and this [w]-sounding consonant may have been [P].
However, should this be called allophone?