British spelling in the US constitution

Guest   Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:57 am GMT
Ok I was pretty suprised with this following quote:

<In the US constitution, British spelling is used, by the way. You could say as well: "Today the founding fathers would use US spellings", so let's change the Constitution. But it wasn't changed, because it's an historical document.>

I never remembered any British spelling in the constitution though I suspect they would be right. I think they 'revise' the spelling of the consititution for use in schools.

The quote came from here:
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Basic_English_alphabetical_wordlist

Copy of the US constitution:
http://www.law.emory.edu/FEDERAL/usconst.html
Guest   Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:00 am GMT
Scanned originals of the US constitution

http://www.law.emory.edu/FEDERAL/conpict.html
Uriel   Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:14 pm GMT
The changes in American spelling did not happen until AFTER the Constitution was written. They weren't always there. Nor were spellings on the either side of the Atlantic as "fixed" as they are today.

I don't remember the spellings being changed for school consumption. They kept it as is -- spelling, capitalization, and all.
Guest   Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:12 pm GMT
Can you give me examples of where British English is used in the original Constitution? I don't see it?
Br   Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:25 pm GMT
Is American spelling favored or is British spelling favoured?
GUEST   Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:07 am GMT
They do use "chuse" rather than "choose" -- is "chuse" ever used in the UK?
Candy   Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:23 am GMT
<<is "chuse" ever used in the UK? >>
No, never seen it.
Guest   Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:56 pm GMT
Why did the Americans need to change the way they spell some words?
Uriel   Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:49 am GMT
We didn't "need" to. It was actually one man's pet peeve, and the vast majority of his simplified spellings never caught on at all. But he was smart enough to largely target printers and publishers with his suggestions, and I would imagine that if you were a printer back then having to set type by hand, dropping the occasional U probably seemed pretty attractive....
Guest   Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:24 am GMT
<We didn't "need" to. It was actually one man's pet peeve, and the vast majority of his simplified spellings never caught on at all.>

Who was this person?
Guest   Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:21 pm GMT
Noah Webster?
Uriel   Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:31 am GMT
Yes.
Uriel -- the real Uriel t   Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:41 am GMT
<<Actually I just don't know. I believe it was actually Bush W. George not Noah Webster. >>

(Sigh) This was not posted by me. But at least they spelled my name right...
Travis   Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:28 am GMT
>>(Sigh) Please ingore the imposter he/she is indeed not the real me. I'm frankly 100% sure the imposter is Canadian. Those Canadians make my blood boil with envy.<<

I would presume that this is not the real Uriel, and the previous "fake" Uriel is indeed the real Uriel.
Guest   Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:31 am GMT
<I would presume that this is not the real Uriel, and the previous "fake" Uriel is indeed the real Uriel. >

Huh? Now you are confusing me.