How did you learn English?

Finn   Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:04 pm GMT
This is open question to everyone, how did you learn English and what kind of methods you used? All successful English learners tell your learning experiences and tips that everybody can improve their learning techniques.
Irish Gal   Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:15 pm GMT
Its my everyday language, thats how I learned it. lol
AJ   Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:04 pm GMT
Um. I'm a native speaker, but I have a couple friends who aren't. They said being around a bunch of native speakers and talking with them helped with pronunciation and such. Slang too. Ha ha. :)
Kabayan   Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:29 am GMT
I used to learn English by memorising grammar rules, and it helped me to pass the exams.
Now, I learn english by imitating sentences of native speakers (perhaps), and it helps me to write my posts to this forum.

(Hey, I still have difficulty with preposition !)
garans   Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:27 pm GMT
reading was the main tool.
After that - listening to songs, movies, audios.
same   Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:27 pm GMT
i am also tray to learan by lisining to the mousc

and read some book for chledran
Zero   Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:46 am GMT
Australian.. say no more!!
SILA   Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:02 pm GMT
ı am learning english . and ı wanna improve my english what can ı do?
Stan   Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:23 pm GMT
READ, READ, READ, READ, READ, READ, READ, READ, READ, and READ.

I suggest you read nineteenth century English literature books. Charles Dicken's books will be good for starters.
christine   Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:13 pm GMT
READ....READ...READ....READ....and of course practice speaking in english...
Mitch   Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:16 pm GMT
Stan,

Why 19th century literature? Wouldn't modern literature, with more up-to-date language be better, especially if there is a lot of dialog?
ramana   Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:27 am GMT
put your self sent persent in ENGLISH
Franco   Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:24 am GMT
No, Stan is wrong. Use modern texts. I learnt English by talking to a british dude in prison.
Larissa   Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:36 am GMT
I can't say yet that I speak English because I don't speak it very well, by far but I'm trying and would love to speak it fluenty one day! To make it clear, I don't learn English at school (high school) and have never learned it!
Guest   Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:54 am GMT
I'm a native speaker of English, so yeah...

Anyway, Larissa, your post has some mistakes but it's still pretty good, especially for someone who's never formally studied English. Do you need to look up lots of words or do you only use words you know off the top of your head?