For the love of Kernow

Guest   Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:40 am GMT
An interesting reference was made to Cornwall from Baroness Greenfield (member of the House of Lords) in the BBC Daily Politics TV programme (19 June) during a discussion on Europe. She said that she is "concerned' about attitudes to Europe and feels that more should be done to promote minority cultural identities in Europe, whether it be in Cornwall, the Basque Country, Sardinia or Corsica"
Adam   Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:24 pm GMT
"She said that she is "concerned' about attitudes to Europe and feels that more should be done to promote minority cultural identities in Europe, whether it be in Cornwall, the Basque Country, Sardinia or Corsica" "

What do you expect from Left-Wing, Liberal, politically correct BBC?

The main "minority cultural identities" that the BBC wants to promote in Europe is Islam.
ME   Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:29 pm GMT
I really hate the Left-Wing, Liberal, politically correct, they are the type of people who believe that the system, jail for example should be lenient with convicts despite the fact they then go out and commit serious crimes.

Back to your point the problem with promoting minority cultural identities is that the majority will be overlooked, and this will cause resentment, Islam gets too much press in Britain, and I am pretty sure the moderates are just as sick of it.
Travis   Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:26 pm GMT
>>Back to your point the problem with promoting minority cultural identities is that the majority will be overlooked, and this will cause resentment, Islam gets too much press in Britain, and I am pretty sure the moderates are just as sick of it.<<

To not promote minority cultural identities is to, by default, effectively advocate the dominance of the majority culture, English culture in the case of the UK, over all minorities. And so what if more reactionary sections of the majority culture somehow resent such - why should the majority culture need protecting from minorities, considering that it is the majority the begin with? As for Islam, well, I do have to say that while I myself most definitely have problems with some of the more fundamentalist sorts of Islam, to simply denounce immigrants in general because they happen to be Muslims is pure bigotry, plain and simple.
ME   Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:23 pm GMT
Travis read the post again, you have missed my point.

"To not promote minority cultural identities is to, by default, effectively advocate the dominance of the majority culture, English culture in the case of the UK, over all minorities"

ME - Just because its the minority does not mean it should be given a voice louder than the majority. I'm a minority myself so don't give a damn, about the others as it makes it harder to integrate when we concentrate on our differences than our similarities.

"I myself most definitely have problems with some of the more fundamentalist sorts of Islam, to simply denounce immigrants in general because they happen to be Muslims is pure bigotry, plain and simple."

ME - I am pretty sure the moderates are just as sick of it.

Again try reading between the lines, moderates (muslims)

Before you get all uppity try looking at your own country, I assume you are American, a similar thing is happening there. However at least there you are American Italian/Irish/British etc.
Travis   Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:54 pm GMT
>>Travis read the post again, you have missed my point.

"To not promote minority cultural identities is to, by default, effectively advocate the dominance of the majority culture, English culture in the case of the UK, over all minorities"

ME - Just because its the minority does not mean it should be given a voice louder than the majority. I'm a minority myself so don't give a damn, about the others as it makes it harder to integrate when we concentrate on our differences than our similarities.<<

Why should minorities necessarily "integrate", though? Also, I should remind you that not all minorities are necessarily recent immigrants who have willingly moved to another place with a different culture and language but often have lived in places for centuries or even millenia; do you suggest that, say, the Welsh or Cornish "integrate", that is, lose their culture and identity, and in the case of the Welsh, their language?

As for having a voice louder than the majority, the thing is that the majority practically automatically has a loud voice in and of itself simply by being the majority; it does not need "protection" or whatnot because just the fact that such is the majority gives such a large amount of influence (except in cases where a majority of one ethnicity is ruled by a smaller group of another ethnicity, but this does not apply to, say, the UK).

>>Before you get all uppity try looking at your own country, I assume you are American, a similar thing is happening there. However at least there you are American Italian/Irish/British etc.<<

Not really. There are the typical anti-immigration bigots here, many of whom forget that very many of their own ancestors were immigrants themselves. There are those who justify their attacks upon Spanish-speaking immigrants based on the whole empty legalistic argument that they must be opposed simply because many of them are "illegal" (ignoring that immigration policy is rather arbitrary in nature to begin with). There are those who are deluding themselves by thinking that Spanish will somehow replace English, and who think that English somehow needs to be "protected" and that Spanish needs to be likewise marginalized.

Of course, there is no evidence of people switching from speaking English to speaking Spanish, and rather there is plenty of evidence that the descendents of Spanish-speaking immigrants *will* speak English natively and will likely be more competent in it than in Spanish. German failed to permanently displace English in parts of the US where it was historically spoken, and of all immigrant languages in the US it had the best chance at doing so; I do not see any reason why Spanish will not go the same way as it.
ME   Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:22 pm GMT
I guess there is where we actually differ we both hate racism, it is just matter of our views on integration, assimilate by and large, whilst having very few perceived differences or have very few similarities whilst having many differences.

Obliviously I think minorities having a larger influence than their deserve, even though as I stated I am a minority, you do not. I think you are wrong and vice versa.

PS - The United Kingdom/Britain is not a country.
Adam   Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:00 pm GMT
"Islam gets too much press in Britain"

What do you expect when Muslims are trying to kill us, and there are around 2000 Islamic terror cells in Britain, all ready to strike?
Adam   Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:01 pm GMT
"PS - The United Kingdom/Britain is not a country."

What is it then?

It is a country - but it won't be in the future in the EU has its way.
Travis   Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:34 pm GMT
>>"PS - The United Kingdom/Britain is not a country."

What is it then?

It is a country - but it won't be in the future in the EU has its way.<<

The UK is not a country, but rather a multinational state, even though from a constitutional perspective it is unitary in structure. It is instead composed of a number of countries, that is, England, Scotland, Wales, and (the northern part of) Ireland (which itself is one country which is part of two states, even though certain sorts might find that position, well, controversial).

That said, I view it is rather unlikely that the UK would actually dissolve altogether in the near future. On the other hand, it would not be surprising at all if the UK switched from a quasiunitary structure to a quasifederal structure in the near future, with England gaining a parliament to match the Scottish Parliament, the Welsh Assembly being strengthened, and the autonomy of the different parts of the UK being increased constitutionally.
ME   Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:42 am GMT
"That said, I view it is rather unlikely that the UK would actually dissolve altogether in the near future. On the other hand, it would not be surprising at all if the UK switched from a quasiunitary structure to a quasifederal structure in the near future, with England gaining a parliament to match the Scottish Parliament, the Welsh Assembly being strengthened, and the autonomy of the different parts of the UK being increased constitutionally."

I would like this very much perhaps then our neighbours would stop moaning, even as a foreigner I find this most off putting, who cares what happened to who's great great grandfather, it wouldn't surprise me if at that point, they were the invaders and became Scottish, Welsh etc.