Oath

JJM   Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:44 pm GMT
"The only instances where I could imagine this would possibly be employed would be when a foreigner takes up citizenship, someone joins the armed forces or someone takes government office or becomes a Governor or Governor General. Ordinary people would never recite such stuff ... unless they are some kind of freak."

This is so in the UK, Canada and Australia as well.

However, you should be aware that allegiance to the Head of State (the Queen) is legally presumed simply by being virtue of being born a citizen too.
JJM   Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:47 pm GMT
Typo alert!

That last part should read: "by virtue of being born a citizen too."
Damian   Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:56 pm GMT
***Fortunately ... You know, I think I'd be more willing to trust old Lizzie than the likes of John Howard or Tony Blair***

Aye....on that point I agree 101%.....at least as far as the last guy is concerned...I can't speak for John Howard as I don't know his record to speak of. Mendacity is not one of Liz's characteristics.
Adam   Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:49 pm GMT
"Queen of New Zealand? I didn't know they had a Queen. What is her name? "

Queen Elizabeth II.
Adam   Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:51 pm GMT
"Queen Elizabeth II is the official Head of State of this country, the United Kingdom. That's the way it is, whether we, the citizens, like it or not. "

It's the same for every nation.

The Americans and the French have a Presidency, whether the people like it or not.

I'd much rather have a Constitutional Monarchy. It's the best form of governance in the world today.
Guest   Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:13 pm GMT
"I'd much rather have a Constitutional Monarchy. It's the best form of governance in the world today."
How do you work that out?
Travis   Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:08 pm GMT
>>However, you should be aware that allegiance to the Head of State (the Queen) is legally presumed simply by being virtue of being born a citizen too.<<

But what is de jure is not necessarily de facto.
JJM   Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:48 pm GMT
"But what is de jure is not necessarily de facto."

Just try defending yourself against treason on the basis that you were born a citizen and had no choice in the matter...
Joel   Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:32 am GMT
<I'd much rather have a Constitutional Monarchy. It's the best form of governance in the world today. >

I would agree to some extent due to the unbias stand the Head of State must take. Elected Presidents usually are bias and can sometimes cause trouble especially when for example 'Left wing Prime minister' and the President is 'Right wing' and the other way around.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:17 am GMT
That's true...the British Monarch nowadays (like all other European monarchs presumably) is officially above all the constitutional affairs of the nation and must show no bias in any field, be it political or anything else. The British Queen is the head of State and also head of the established Church....the Anglican Church. So she must show no favour to any particular party or religious body and must keep all her opionions to herself, which must be really difficult.

It's well known, apparently, that she found some of her Prime Ministers more difficult to handle on a personal level than others as she is bound by duty to meet, every week, whichever PM is in office at any particular time. It's reputed that she found it a wee bit diffult to get along with Margaret Thatcher when she was PM....maybe a case of two women in high places not getting along too well......

Queen Victoria sometimes found it difficult to keep her opinions to herself and sometimes let slip. She once criticised Benjamin Disraeli publicy by complaining that, when they were in discussion together, he spoke to her just as if he was addressing a public meeting.
JJM   Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:41 am GMT
"Queen Victoria sometimes found it difficult to keep her opinions to herself and sometimes let slip. She once criticised Benjamin Disraeli publicy by complaining that, when they were in discussion together, he spoke to her just as if he was addressing a public meeting."

And there's that great story of Disraeli on his deathbed being asked if he wished a visit from the Queen. "No, I think not," he is said to have replied, "She would only want me to take a message to Albert."