We want out school to be Gaelic only, say English on Skye.

Adam   Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:24 am GMT
A group of English people, and Gaelic-speakers, living on the Isle of Skye say they want a ban on teaching in English at a primary school.

This decision is not as popular as you may believe - these people have been accused of "fascism" by many of the islanders.

The Times February 03, 2006

We want our school to be Gaelic only, say English

By David Lister in Àird a Bhasair, Shleite

ENGLISH outsiders are among a group of parents being accused of tearing apart a small island community by calling for a ban on teaching in English at a primary school.

Gaelic-language enthusiasts in the Isle of Skye, including “incomers” from England, have been accused of “fascism” after proposing that the school on the Sleat peninsula be made Gaelic-only.

Sleat, known as “the Garden of Skye” for its lush countryside and breathtaking views, has a reputation for being a friendly place where 800 people live in harmony.

“This is a superb community,” said Neil Robertson, 51, whose ten-year-old son is at the school. “But this proposal isn’t just causing simmering anger. It’s more like an open wound. We don’t want to close the door to people who might want to live here by segregating education and limiting choice. We don’t want to be seen as just a quaint Gaelic corner of Skye.”

Although the proposal has only just been put forward for consultation by the Highland Council, already the rows in the local pub have come close to ending in blows. At a meeting ten days ago, about 100 people, not the 15 expected, turned up to express their disapproval.

Bill Fulton, a councillor, said: “I’ve had more than a few phone calls on the issue using words like ‘fascist’ and ‘mafia’.”

Like many schools in the Highlands and Islands, Sleat Primary School, or Bun-Sgoil Shleite, runs a “dual-stream” system, giving parents the option of having their children educated either in Gaelic or in English. Forty-three pupils are taking all their classes in Gaelic and 28 in English.

Donnie MacKinnon, 70, who has spoken Gaelic all his life, said: “It’s the incomers who are behind this, not the locals.” The pensioner, whose eight-year-old grandson is taught in English but speaks Gaelic at home, said that he was “sickened” by the suggestion that children would have to travel 20 miles to a school in the village of Broadford to learn in English.

Emotions have been high since a group of parents discovered last month that Gaelic-language enthusiasts had asked the Highland Council to consult the community about making the school Gaelic-only.

The Comann nam Pàrant (Parents’ Group), led by Murdo Macleod, 41, a teacher at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig, the Gaelic college in Sleat, argued that it was impossible for pupils to become fluent unless they underwent “total immersion” — meaning that all school activities had to be in Gaelic.

Lucy Threlfall, 41, who is from Leeds but has lived in Skye for 13 years, has two boys at the school, one taught in Gaelic and the other in English. “I can see both sides,” she said. “As far as I’m concerned the status quo is fine but if it had to be one way or the other I’d be pro-Gaelic. The only way we’re going to keep the language alive is by encouraging it at every opportunity.”

DYING LANGUAGE

*Scots Gaelic, or Gàidhlig, is spoken in the Scottish Highlands and islands

*As “the Catholic tongue”, it was suppressed for decades by the English

*According to the 2001 census, there were 59,000 Gaelic speakers. In 1901 tere were 231,000

*The stronghold of the language is the Western Isles, where 61 per cent speak it

*More young people are studying the language as Gaelic culture has become fashionable

thetimesonline.co.uk
JJM   Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:10 am GMT
Personally, I think it is wonderful that folks are interested and enthused about Gaelic.

On the other hand though, I do have considerable reservations about the idea of denying children access to mastering English competently in a country where their future success will depend on it.

Surely these folks don't expect all their children to remain on Skye in what would amount to some sort of ghetto?

I love the idea of people speaking and using Gaelic. But there is a reality check to be made here: 60,000 Gaelic speakers huddled in the Highlands versus 60,000,000 English speakers in the UK.

As a bilingual Canadian, I've seen the nationalists in Québec get up to shenanigans not unlike this.

Denying English language access to young French Canadians might promote a "particular agenda" but does nothing to improve Québec's economy; it's one thing to be French-speaking, another to lack skills in the language of the province's (and Canada's) principal trading partner - the US.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:15 am GMT
This story is (fairly) notable news here in Scotland...of course every effort should be made to preserve the Gaelic Language and culture in the Isle of Skye, as well as all the other Western Isles. It's even stronger on the nearby Isles of Lewis and Harris. However, to promote Gaelic at the expense of the English Language is plain stupid and a fine line exists between Language enthusiats and culturists and "fascist" extremists who can't see further than the end of their noses.

It's great that Gaelic is still widely spoken and preserved in the Western Isles and the Isle of Skye, as well as very restricted areas on the mainland of the north west. It's a pity it's been completely lost elsewhere in Scotland, but the fact is, Gaelic is of no use whatsoever outside of those small and, let's face it, remote areas where less than 3% of the overall Scottish population speaks Gaelic. The point is, even in those areas English is the official Language just as it is all over the rest of the UK, and without a full and comprehensive knowledge of English it's impossible to progress to any form of real employment even if you never choose to go over the sea from Skye. Tourism is far and away the prime industry nowadays and the truth is you'd be hard pressed to find any tourists who are able to converse in Gaelic. I think the percentage who can is about 0.000000000000001%. You may as well live in a croft and collect peat and seaweed for a living. (Actually, there's a bridge linking Skye to the mainland now, but there you go).

It's true that young people in those areas (even those fairly limited numbers who have migrated there with their families) are learning Gaelic but that is a "fashionable fad" really. My mate in Wales tells me that it's the same situation down there, even though Welsh is much more widely spoken in Wales than Gaelic is in Scotland.
Fredrik from Norway   Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:51 pm GMT
Actually, I would have supported it if it had not been for the fact that the tourism industry is the main industry in that part of the world...

BTW - can you really call it "fascism" when it's about protecting / promoting a MINORITY?
Damian   Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:10 pm GMT
Fascism is a wee bit strong a word to use in matters of Language protection, but to try and protect it by excluding all use of and references to the official Language ...English.... does border on the fascist a wee bit to my mind. There is enough fascism about in the wider news right now in one way or another.

As for promoting / protecting minorities.....well, I'm all in favour! But minorities always tend to be a bit mega vocal.... Oh God, what am I saying???!
Guest   Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:14 pm GMT
Oh God we lost Damian to the darkside.

I wonder if Adam has told Damian that he is his son.