Is Italian an important language these days?

Philx   Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:22 pm GMT
Fiume rejiaka is completely bilingual as most part of dalmatia
CHINESE   Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:34 pm GMT
Not to mention Spanish, is Italian more important than Portuguese in Europe and Portuguese is more important than Italian in Latin America?
Larissa   Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:36 pm GMT
Guest Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:42 pm GMT
in France, the most studied is spanish

No, buddy, in France the most studied language is English and Spanish is the second.
Mcat   Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:41 pm GMT
The lingua fracae of the western world are English and Castilian. Italian, French, Portuguese and Romanian are insignificant in this regard.

Chinese, with Italian you can only communicate with some 70 million people in Italy, Switzerland, parts of Slovenia, and very small immigrant communities in America. With Castilian you can communicate with 600 million people in many countries. After English, Castilian is a obvious choice of a language to learn, especially if you live in the west. With Portuguese, a language that is mutually intelligible with Castilian, that number reaches nearly 1 billion people worldwide that you can communicate with in many countries across many continente.
CHINESE   Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:03 pm GMT
Mcat

<<With Castilian you can communicate with 600 million people in many countries.>>
<<With Portuguese, a language that is mutually intelligible with Castilian, that number reaches nearly 1 billion people worldwide that you can communicate with in many countries across many continente.>>

Accurate Answer should be as follows:

Spanish: 400 millions approximately

Portuguese: 200 millions approximately

Total: 600 millions approximately (based on the mutual intelligibilty of Spanish & Portuguese)
Philx   Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:12 pm GMT
Mcat, stop elogiating english, the other languages as you might know have influenced english too.
greg   Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:20 pm GMT
Je doute que tous les hispanophones comprennent le portugais...
Luca   Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:50 pm GMT
What is an 'important' language anyway?

I think that in order to answer your question you should first decide a criterion for 'being important'.
Words can be very ambiguous, and 'important' is ambiguos indeed if you don't explicitly state what you mean by it.

There are objective criteria.
For example, an important language might be:
the most spoken language in the world, by native speakers.
the most influential (this also is quite ambiguous)
the most widespread (the number of countries where it is spoken)
add yours......

But I think subjective criteria are more important.
If i had a Brazilian girlfriend, then surely portoguese would be very important for me!
And if you are personally interested in fashion, art or renaissance history then surely Italian would be an important language for you to study.

just my 2 cents.
Chinese   Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:03 pm GMT
Luca

Thank you very much!

If most spoken: must be Portuguese

If most widespread: must be Portuguese

But if most influential: which one then?
Chinese   Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:05 pm GMT
and if the criteria is economic and national power, then which one between Italian and Portuguese?
Mitch   Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:26 pm GMT
The most studied foreign language in the States by far is Spanish. French is second, far ahead of German. As for Italian, it is currently in fourth place, but will probably be passed by American Sign Language(!) soon. Japanese and Chinese are coming up fast.

http://www.vistawide.com/languages/us_languages.htm
Benjamin   Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:58 pm GMT
In a European context, Italian is definitely a more significant language than Portuguese, since Italy is the fourth post powerful country in the European Union, whilst Portgugal is much smaller and is less wealthy. In my experience, few Europeans learn Portuguese unless they can already speak Spanish or have a particular interest in or connection with either Portugal or Brazil. It's certainly not a language which one just happens to end up learning here.

I'd put Italian and Spanish on an equal footing in Europe because, although Italy has a larger population and (slightly) greater wealth than Spain, Spanish is learned as a foreign language by far more people.
Benjamin   Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:59 pm GMT
*should read: the fourth MOST powerful country in the European Union
Philx   Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:21 pm GMT
Just my 2 cents :
Learn simply the language that you like more, you might attracted by extreme duttility that modern (Ancient too) greek has got, the incisivity of the romance language, or for example the chinese syntax, very logic indeed, with the topic promence word vs subject and other stuff, or perhaps the germanic languages, i like personally danish that is the less harsh of them......
*CarloS*   Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:51 pm GMT
Comparing Italian with Portuguese:

Most spoken by native speakers: Portuguese

Most spoken as a second language: Portuguese? (NOT SURE.)

Most widespread: Portuguese

Most useful for jobs / job opportunities: Portuguese? (Again not sure, but probably Brazil has more job opportunities to offer than Italy. I have never heard any job requiring these languages either.)

With most economic power: Portuguese? (Italy ranks 8th with the largest GDP and Brazil 9th... but GDP doesn't measure economic power, so I guess Portuguese is more important.)

With most political power: Portuguese (Although, neither of them are languages of the UN.)