A Million Little Questions

Stan   Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:25 pm GMT
Most people will be familiar with the predicaments of the author of "A Million Little Pieces" James Frey. To some people, his name has become a symbol of lies and deceit, some have even made suggestions that his book should be pushed to the category of a fiction. The questions are as follows:

1. If indeed, the characters in the story really did (goes for his dead love) or do (goes for those that're still living) exist, would it be fair on these people that truely exist and existed, that a story about them is labeled a fiction?

2. If indeed his (Frey's) book really has some substance of integrity in a broad definition of a "memoir," what exactly is the definition of a memoir? - an account of the personal experiences of an author?, what makes it different from an autobiography?

3. Why would it not be acceptable for the book to be called a novel that is based on a true-life story?

4. If a lady hangs herself, will it have a different suicide impact if she were to slash her own wrist instead?

5. Will I have to change the part of my story which says I bumped my head against an iron platform to protect the integrity of my memoir, because - infact, I bumped my head against a steel platform, not exactly "iron" in its elemental state?

The questions never stop, What do you think?
Mike   Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:35 pm GMT
"A million little pieces" indeed, I'll rather call it "a million little rubbish." That guy deserves to be in prison for fooling everyone. Just as I was about to call it the best story I ever read, it turns out to be one big hoax, a big shame indeed.
Paul   Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:36 pm GMT
I think the guy deserves a break, afterall, he came clean. It is never easy to admit to that sort of thing.
Mike   Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:16 pm GMT
-- I think the guy deserves a break, afterall, he came clean. It is never easy to admit to that sort of thing. --

The problem is that once you give one a break, others will follow, knowing they would get a break when the bubble bursts.
Mr Han   Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:07 pm GMT
A memoir can also mean an autobiography. There are several definitions for a memoir including a biography or biographical sketch, in that sence it is allowed if there is a little exaggeration and modifications to the actual event. Besides, if we all were to write out life story, would we remember everything exactly as it happened?

I think staying 87 minutes in prison rather than the 90 days claimed is taken things too far, I think there is the difference between a lie and truth.
Wuzi   Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:56 am GMT
James Frey is just like a white sub-urban school kid fantasizing about south-central L.A; trying his best to depict a gangster lifestyle he never lived.
Stan   Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:02 am GMT
<< James Frey is just like a white sub-urban school kid fantasizing about south-central L.A; trying his best to depict a gangster lifestyle he never lived. >>

I'll say that is rather harsh.
Jamie   Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:51 pm GMT
Memoir

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a literary genre, a memoir forms a subclass of autobiography, although it is an older form of writing. Memoirs may appear less structured and less encompassing than formal autobiographical works as they are usually about part of a life – often a public part of a life – rather than a life from childhood to old age. A memoir is slightly different from an autobiography. Traditionally, a memoir focuses on the "life and times" of the author, while an autobiography has a narrower, more intimate focus on the author's own memories, feelings and emotions. Memoirs have often been written by politicians or military leaders as a way to record and publish an account of their public exploits

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memoir (for moere)

Hope this helps to clearify things.