Aesthetic qualities of English...

Dude Who Knows   Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:10 am GMT
I want to know what those of you speak English as a second language think of the language aesthetically. As a native speaker, I've never had the opportunity to really evaluate what English sounds like. My brain can't help but decipher English words when I hear or read them, and thus I am left wondering how the language comes across to those who listen or read it without any understanding.

- As a Germanic language, does English sound as harsh as some other Germanic languages can?

- What sounds best characterize spoken English in your opinions?

- What letter groupings or punctuation marks look especially foreign to you? Perhaps the apostrophes in contractions or "ing" suffix, for instance?

- What other languages does English sound similar to in your opinion?

- Does English sound nice to your ears?
Franco   Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:04 am GMT
I'm no linguist but I can tell you my opinion.
When I was learning English it depended greately on the accent of the speaker. American English sounded very indistinct to my ears, like one big long continous slur of vowel sounds. The consonants don't sound very strong. British English was more distinct but it sounds like a bit choppy, kind of like German, but less so. It is also very much faster. They both sounded pretty monotinous, that is not much emphasis on certain words, syllables, unless speaker shouts.

As for your questions:
1. Not nearly as harsh, much more vowels and no spitting sound.
2. The "th" sound was quite strange but I'm not sure.
3. I thought words such as "pack", "follower", "ough", "kicker" looked funny, can't say why thought.
4. Don't know, none.
5. It sounds alright, but nothing special. It is too monotinous to be beautiful.
someone   Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:06 am GMT
Well. Thanks for the Latin and French contributions, English is softer and nicer than any Germanic language. Otherwise it would sound as horrible as Danish or Dutch, guttural and mechanical.

RP English is very sophisticated and more rhythmic. American English is annoying, not just because of being rhotic and very nasal, but because of the intonation is very “lazy” and monotone. Northern English accents are very annoying as well, maybe even more than American.

English as a whole doesn’t sound like anything! Because it’s just a cocktail of languages, a hybrid language more Latin in vocabulary than Germanic.
Anna   Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:26 pm GMT
>>>Northern English accents are very annoying as well, maybe even more than American<<<

That is true , Northern English accents are just a mess, and Scotish is terrible. I can't understand a word !
Travis   Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:06 am GMT
>>- As a Germanic language, does English sound as harsh as some other Germanic languages can?<<

When you speak of Germanic languages sounding "harsh", I assume that you're speaking of the High and Low German dialects (Dutch and Afrikaans included), which aren't necessarily even as "harsh" in practice as you might think; for instance, much of High German could actually be described as "non-rhotic", even though its non-rhotic-ness does differ a bit from that of many English dialects. That said, while it is still probably less "harsh" than many High or Low German dialects,

>>- What sounds best characterize spoken English in your opinions?<<

If one is just speaking about North American English, its alveolar flap.

>>- What letter groupings or punctuation marks look especially foreign to you? Perhaps the apostrophes in contractions or "ing" suffix, for instance?<<

I can't really answer that, having English as my native language and being fluently literate in only it.

>>- What other languages does English sound similar to in your opinion?<<

If I had to choose a language to compare English to aesthetically, it would probably be Danish.

>>- Does English sound nice to your ears?<<

I can't necessarily say that it sounds "nice" to me. Rather it sounds just neutral to me. However, if I had one adjective to describe how English at least here in everyday speech sounds, it would be "mushy".
Travis   Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:22 am GMT
That should be:

"That said, while it is still probably somewhat less 'harsh' than many High or Low German dialects, it is not necessarily any more 'harsh' than the North Germanic dialects. Especially Danish, which it is probably on par with with respect to 'harshness'. Of course, 'harsh' still isn't probably the right word to describe the High and Low German dialects."
just a guest   Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:02 am GMT
<Of course, 'harsh' still isn't probably the right word to describe the High and Low German dialects." >

how else then ?

rough, coarse; unpleasant or just plain ugly ?
Travis   Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:09 am GMT
>><Of course, 'harsh' still isn't probably the right word to describe the High and Low German dialects." >

how else then ?

rough, coarse; unpleasant or just plain ugly ?<<

More like "sharp" or "clear", even though such still are not quite as applicable to the (High and Low) German dialects as one might naively assume.
Adam   Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:35 pm GMT
"RP English is very sophisticated and more rhythmic. American English is annoying, not just because of being rhotic and very nasal, but because of the intonation is very “lazy” and monotone. Northern English accents are very annoying as well, maybe even more than American. "

You're just a stuck-up Southern softie he's never been further north than Watford.
Franco   Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:40 pm GMT
Also, don't forget Indian accents.
Uriel   Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:06 pm GMT
Well, as a native speaker, I find all the "-ough" "kn-" and "ps-" words a bit strange when written. The "-tion" words are odd because I know they are pronounced totally differently than they would seem to be from the spelling, and the final E's and "-ing" words seem pretty distinctive to me as well.
Larissa   Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:51 am GMT
- As a Germanic language, does English sound as harsh as some other Germanic languages can? Oh no, English is a very beautiful language and it sounds very nice especially with American accent! English is one of the most beautiful languages in the world and it isn't harsh at all!
David   Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:30 am GMT
Anna and someone,

You are both talking out of your lower, rear orrifi (the plural of orrifice heh heh).

I'd love to hear how dumb and ignorant you 2 both sound - if you have such undeveloped, narrow, unintelligent, generalist views then it goes that you will be uneducated trailer trash (or equivalent).

Someone = Forrest Gump for sure

Anna = Your every day Jerry Springer show 'gal.