Cuban dialect; similar to Castilian or Latin American

Pablo   Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:37 am GMT
Cuban Spanish is closest to Canary Islands Spanish.
Francisco   Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:09 am GMT
I have really enjoyed your forum concerning the different dialects of spanish. I am of Cuban decent and am unfortunately limited in my spanish speaking due to the way that I was raised and the beliefs of my parents at the time. I am looking for an individual of Cuban decent to pen pal with in spanish utilizing common Cuban idioms.
Guest   Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:55 am GMT
I good example of Puerto Rican Accent is the singer Calle 13

ex. Comer-comel

doctor-doctol

cagar-cagal

etc
Guest   Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:50 pm GMT
I must recognize that I don't find pleasant the Cuban accent . Even andalusian Spanish is far more elegan than the Cuban one. And it's not only a matter of taste since Cuban Spanish is sometimes even hard to understand, unlike Argentinian Spanish which despite its uniqueness, is easy to understand . I think that the Castro regime has had its effect on the lowering the quality of the Cuban Spanish. They are isolated and are not in conctact with Spain to learn a fine way of speaking.
Francisco   Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:35 pm GMT
Thank you for your input in response to my involvement in this forum. Being no more superior or beneath anyone else I am proud of being Cuban. I gravitate towards speaking with other Cubans and do have difficulty in understanding many of the words and phrases.
Guest   Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:29 pm GMT
I think that the fact that Cuban Spanish replaces R with L (amor becomes "amol") and drops many S makes it difficult to understand. Do you find other aspects of this dialects which make it difficult to understand or you don't experience problems at understanding Cuban Spanish at all?
Guest   Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:06 pm GMT
I'm a native speaker so not really, I can understand anyone no matter where they're from, and in case I didn't get what they're saying I would ask them to speak slowly, after all they're the ones speaking improperly not me, but in general all the cubans that I've met in Mexico don't speak that bad.
Guest   Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:07 pm GMT
Cuban is more similar to American Spanish. I'm a native Spanish speaker but some dialects are hard to understand like Cuban or some Andalusian dialects.
Guest   Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:36 pm GMT
I don't know why I just can't stand that Puerto Rican thing of changing Rs by Ls, with all due respect they sound like retards to me, "ehque tienes que donal, pala cluh roja" grrr.
Guest   Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:39 pm GMT
Puertoricans and Cubans speak as if they were tired.