Homes?

Rex   Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:37 pm GMT
Is "Homes" a slang term as in:

I started automatically for the driver's side, but Jack grabbed hold of my shirt collar and yanked me around.
"Whoa, where're you going? I'm driving, Homes."
"What?'
"I don't want to spend the first night bailing you out of the tank."

I suppose "Homes" refers to the guy who tried to sit in the driver's seat. But his name does not have "Homes" in it. So...what does Homes here mean anyway?
Guest   Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:50 pm GMT
He's probably referring to Sherlock Holmes. Maybe the character in your story has a detective-like personality.
Guest   Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:07 pm GMT
"Homes" is short for "homeboy" in urban American street slang. An alternate form is 'homey" or "homie", but those terms aren't used as much anymore except when mock-appropriating ghetto fabulousness.
Guest   Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:10 pm GMT
"homeboy" btw is slang for a close friend from the same 'hood that you came from.
Guest   Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:01 pm GMT
"homeboy" btw is slang for a close friend from the same 'hood that you came from."
How dreadfully urban of you!
Ecko   Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:09 am GMT
Holmes is kinda slang and kinda not. Holmes is spansih for "man" which is alos"guy, dude", and I thought only latinos used it.
Guest   Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:17 am GMT
I agree with the first poster. It obviously refers to Sherlock Holmes. This is not the only slang that refers to him. For example, there is also, "No shit, Sherlock."

Do not listen to this talk about "homies", "homeboys", "hoods", and all that other nonsense. Its just a troll trying to confuse you.
Guest   Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:42 am GMT
Idiot. Did Rex write "Holmes"??? No, he wrote "Homes".
Guest   Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:19 am GMT
I think you might want to reread his post. He wrote "Holmes".
Dude Who Knows   Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:09 pm GMT
Without a doubt, "Homes" has nothing to do with Sherlock Holmes. The homie/homeboy explanation was correct.
Guest   Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:28 pm GMT
Without a doubt, it has _everything_ to do with Sherlock Holmes.