Germanic/Latinate sentences

Innocent guest   Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:31 pm GMT
No, this isn't one of those idiotic 'Latins vs the world topics', but a kind of a game!

English has a lot of loans from Romance languages and Latin.Can you make 2 sentences both (practically) meaning the same but with the loans separated?

EG:

In my anger I struck my small sword in his belly.

In my rage I injected my gladius in his abdomen.

That feeling is forbidden!

That sensation is prohihibited!

For help, use :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Germanic_and_Latinate_equivalents

http://www.etymonline.com/
Guest   Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:29 pm GMT
"into" would be better than "in" in those sentences.
Fredrik from Norway   Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:53 pm GMT
Folks often shine with happiness when they are in love.
People tend to radiate felicity when amorous.
Guest   Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:55 pm GMT
" Folks often shine with happiness when they are in love.
= 10 germanic words / 10 words
" People tend to radiate felicity when amorous. "
= 5 latin-rooted words / 7 words

all of your "latin" sentences have germanic words in them, while all "germanic" sentences are fully germanic. Could you be able to make sentences using noly latin loan ? I doubt it would be possible.
Guest   Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:37 am GMT
Pure Latin Sentence: Flowers flourish during moderate meteorological activity.
Guest   Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:43 am GMT
Pure Germanic counterpart to above sentence: Blooms do well in good weather.
Fredrik from Norway   Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:49 am GMT
Nice!
Guest   Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:58 pm GMT
populants of transparent domiciles should not perform transcendent movements with solid material.
sophie   Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:03 pm GMT
all right... that eas something about people living in glass houses should not throw stones, right?
Guest   Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:37 pm GMT
His sentence is not correct though. "Populant" is not a word; "Transparent" means "see-through", not "glass"; "Transcendant" makes no sense in that usage; and "Solid material" could refer to many things other than rocks.
Uriel   Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:29 pm GMT
<<populants of transparent domiciles should not perform transcendent movements with solid material.>>

How about:

Inhabitants of transparent domiciles should refrain from casting projectiles of lithic composition.
Guest   Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:01 am GMT
" Pure Latin Sentence: Flowers flourish during moderate meteorological activity. "

I don't agree : in this sentence the syntax and grammar still completly germanic (word order), but also "during" isn't completly latin, the "ing" termination is very germanic, so "during" is half latin only.
Tiffany   Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:05 am GMT
Germanic: In fall, pretty leaves come.
Latinate: In autumn, beautiful foliage arrives.

I have no clue if "in" is Germanic or Latinate. My dictionary seems to think it is both.
Travis   Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:33 am GMT
>>I have no clue if "in" is Germanic or Latinate. My dictionary seems to think it is both.<<

In this case it would be Germanic, as its presence in English is due to its presence in Common Germanic, rather than it being borrowed by English at some point along the way.
Guest   Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:06 pm GMT
"populants of transparent domiciles should not perform transcendent movements with solid material."

In this sentence : "of, should, not, with" are not latin words.

"In autumn, beautiful foliage arrives."

In this sentence ; "in, and beautiful" are not latin, or partly not; beauty(latin)+full(germanic)
"arrives"=arrive(latin)+s(non romance when used at third person)

I still don't have the confirmation that it is possible to make an english sentence without germanic words.