Will English be the number 1 language in 2025

David   Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:52 pm GMT
For discussion;

Will English be the leading world language twenty years from now, in 2025 ?

I work in Aviation and as we know, the entire Aviation world works in English (a Japanese pilot approaching a Japanese Control Tower in Osaka will request his approach and landing clearance in English, etc, etc).*

Also, English is the fastest growing business language across the world. Even in China, there are businesses that are starting to transact and work entirely in English, citing the speed of growth and financial success of Hong Kong based business as their reason.

So will this continue ? In twenty years will English be understood by 98% of the populations in 70% of the coutries of the world?

It amazes me when I vivist cetain countries in the world where English is understood almost universally (even people living on the street having to beg for loose change can speak perfect English). The Netherlands, Denmark, Norway and Sweden come to mind. Why is this?

Or............. will this trend change. In Twenty years time perhaps Spanish will be Numero Uno around the world..... It's arguably easier to learn than English (from most language starting points), due to the simple and logical grammatic system.

Or will we all be sitting on the commuter trains in the mornings with our 'Learn Madarin the easy way' books, will we see more Chinese in the west as the future lead super power emerges ?

Let's hear your thoughts! And let's try and keep it respectful, sensible and lacking in paranoia!

-------------------------------------
*Yes there are some exceptions, French and Spanish speaking Ground Crews often speak their own language in liaising with cockpit crew.
javier   Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:34 pm GMT
Perhaps it may be Engrish the world language.

www.engrish.com
Guest   Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:47 pm GMT
Hmm I dunno, have you read the lastest edition of The Tissue Times?
http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?imagename=tissues-time.jpg&category=Adult%20Engrish&date=2003-07-28
Stan   Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:27 pm GMT
For 2025, I dare to say a mortified version of the English language (Engrish?), one that suits all nations. Maybe one that has 300 words in its lexicon; that'll be easy enough to be understood by aliens.

I feel pity for those native speakers who will be forced to speak a downgraded version of their beloved language; just maybe Engrish.

For 2025 - Engrish
For 2050 - Swahili (don't ask me why)
Guest   Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:35 pm GMT
>a Japanese pilot approaching a Japanese Control Tower in Osaka will request his approach and landing clearance in English<

yeah, and the landing distances are in metres !!! not very English !
Adam   Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:33 pm GMT
English is already the world's leading language.
ME   Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:18 pm GMT
@ What are tou saying? an italian pilot aproaching to milano will request the permission in italian, as for for french greek, aznd othe uropean language do not embiggen english language please
Guest   Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:25 pm GMT
>@ What are tou saying? an italian pilot aproaching to milano will request the permission in italian, as for for french greek, aznd othe uropean language do not embiggen english language please <

No the official language authorised to be used is English. Even when an Italian Pliot approachs a Italian airport he/she must speak English.
Guest   Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:48 pm GMT
English is the default and official language of worldwide civil aviation with the exception of Quebec where English and French may be used.

Measurements used by pliots (even American ones) must be the metric system when addressing flight control.
David   Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:38 pm GMT
To be accurate, every area of airspace in the world, other than in the Russian Federation and most parts of the Commonwealth of Independent States measures altitude in FEET (as a measure of baromatric pressure), and distance in Nautical Miles.

In Russia and the CIS, altitude is measured in Metres.
Jim   Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:01 am GMT
Adam, of course "English is already the world's leading language." but will it still be so in two decades? I think so but in one hundred years ... maybe not. The language of next century might be Chinese.
Guest   Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:26 am GMT
"About 10 years ago I saw a report on France TV about Tahiti and even there the Chinese community speaks fluent French with no problems. "

That's because Tahiti is part of French Polynesia (most populous) and French is a national language. You can't get by in commerce there without French.