ROMANIAN the closest to CLASSICAL LATIN

Alberto consetti   Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:34 am GMT
Agreed.

Romania? What the blazes is that? They should have stayed with Moldavia and with Slavic & Baltic and not PORTRAY a the Neo-latin tongues and elaborating that their the MOST conversative....which in REALITY their the newest.

In other words;

Romanian & Esperanto; ARE newbies and experimental languages...just like modern hebrew is to archaic hebrew spoken in 500B.C C.E
Aldo   Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:37 am GMT
Alberto consetti; WROTE---->>>

In other words;

Romanian & Esperanto; ARE newbies and experimental languages...just like modern hebrew is to archaic hebrew spoken in 500B.C C.E

Well put! praises!
S.P.Q.R   Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:02 pm GMT
Symply, romanian syntax is comparable to a slavic language, tell me, a latin word with slavic syntax, bit strange.
Menelaus   Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:43 pm GMT
Identical words in Romanian and Sardinian. A mystery

Among all Neo-Latin tongues, only Romanian, Sardinian and Southern Italian dialects have an ending of masculine nouns in “U”. Why for example the term "tongue" is said exactly the same in :

Romanian
"limba"- "tongue"
Sardinian
"limba"- "tongue"

While in no other intermediate Neo-Latin dialect has evolved in this way? Do Romanians descend from Sardinian soldiers?

The history proves that there was not any relationship between these two peoples (Sardinians and Romanians) in Roman times, yet the linguistic coincidences unique to both languages are evident.

And also Romanian and Sardinian are the most conservative Neo-Latin languages.
VERITAS   Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:32 pm GMT
After looking in the archive… very interesting, Brennus aparently like Romanian language, and he consider is the closest to clasical Latin !
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is your favourite Romance language?
Brennus Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:56 am GMT

Probably, Romanian. It is the closest to Classical Latin in many ways and still preserves some words used by classical writers like Cicero, Livy, Ovid and Appolonius of Tyre which have disappeared in the Western Romance languages. For example, burã (breeze) and boarã (North Wind) from the Classical Latin 'Boreas' (North Wind).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brennus Monday, April 25, 2005, 22:09 GMT

"Romanian" is right to some extent. While the Romanian language is not without its Vulgar Latin elements it contains more words of a Classical Latin nature to like - a s,opti - "to whisper" from sopteo "to sigh", - înt,eleg - "I understand from Intellego (used by Cicero)”
greg Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 07:59 GMT

Romanian appears to be more conservative than Western Romance. Or, I should write, than some Western Romance languages since Old French maintained a bicasual declension – nominative vs non-nominative – while (according to what I read) Romanian has four cases with two case-endings – one for nominative and accusative, another for genitive and dative. Plus Romanian seems to have kept vocative for human animates.

Which living language is the closest to Latin
Romanian Wednesday, April 27, 2005, 00:33 GMT

Classical Latin vs. Vulgar Latin

"Church" in Classical Latin= Basilica>>Romanian=Biserica
"Church" in Vulgar Latin= Eclessia>>French-eglise,Italian-chiesa,Spanish-iglesia,Portuguese-igreja.

Unfortunately in this days there is a big nomber of Trolls insolting and poluting here antimoon.
Philx   Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:06 pm GMT
Borea italiano dove l'avete messo? Mi sembra che questo sia un temtativo di frozare la somglianza di rumen e latino. Che pena
Cicero   Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:26 pm GMT
I think S.P.Q.R is pathetic. He is a syntax maniac and freak desperately trying to ignore and deny Romanian’s conservative structure, when you can clearly see the conservative Romanian being the closest to Classical Latin.

There are at least 9 points found only in Classical Latin and Romanian, non-existent in other Romance or Vulgar Latin.

1. Neuter gender of nouns from Classical Latin present only in Romanian
2. Romanian is more archaic and conservative than any other Romance.
3. Declension categories for the NOUN, just as in the case of Classical Latin.
4. Romanian verbs continues the CLASSICAL LATIN forms:
5. four conjugation types, having the same thematic vowels
6. three personal moods (indicative, subjunctive, imperative) three non-personal moods (infinitive, gerund, participle).
7. Phonetically, Romanian kept Latin diphthongs from classical Latin, unlike other Romance languages. Classical Latin "au" remained "au" in Romanian:
8. Endings in “U”. Only Romanian, Sicilian, and Sardinian kept its endings in “U” from Classical Latin, versus “O” in Vulgar Latin and western Romance.
9.Romanian maintains from Classical Latin the synthetic Genitive and Dative

It is also true that Romanian syntax was influenced by Slavic to some extent. But that influence still makes Romanian the closest to Classical Latin. Basically, S.P.Q.R has proved 1 point (the syntax) promoting other Romance languages. But Romanian has at least 9 strong points in common with classical Latin.

Something very amusing and however proving Romanian as “the closest”. You can clearly see the Classical Latin diphthong “AU” in Romanian and inexistent in Spanish.

>>Classical Latin "taurus" (bull) - Romanian "taur" - Spanish "toro"
scuse me ? what is "toro"? I cant see any O in Classical Latin "taurus" only in "LOL<<
Puxa! Asturianu   Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:18 am GMT
8. Endings in “U”. Only Romanian, Sicilian, and Sardinian kept its endings in “U” from Classical Latin, versus “O” in Vulgar Latin and western Romance.

Not necesarily, Asturian (founded in Spain) uses the "u" at the antepeultimate for example;

Asturianu/bable - mucha xente diria que non ye una llingua, pero non tien importancia. Yo soy Asturianu y yo falo bable (o Asturianu si quieres llamarlu asi).

Spanish preserves some "alternations" of "taurus" for example;

taurino (bullfighting attributive ; zoology bull attributive)
tauro (astrology)
tauromaquia/o (feminine bullfighting )

Spanish on most ALTERNATIVE words Perserves it's Classical feel and pronounciation.

by the way...Romanian "bull" is spelled "taur" how is it Pronounced?
I mean Italian & spanish etc. have perserved the "falling of the o" or "u" in asturianu; "touru" in Asturian.

I personally have looked into the Romanian language and frankly it's interesting to say that the language "Romanian" has been "wishy washy" thru-out history and has been ever so evolving that now it says it's the purest of Classical or vulgar latin. I guess they lack the reflection and recollection of their past.
Latinophile   Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:16 pm GMT
For my opinion, romanian isn't so close to classical latin, simply because classical latin, WRITTEN between 1bc,1dc, wasn't a real language, it was a literary dialect, i can immagine cicero going to the baker and syaing, usque tandem, domo venit huic ad panem requisendum.........
Secondly, the roman soldier, that weren't litterate men i suppose couldn't spoke classical latin!
I, honestly think that italian is closer to latin as written by Mario pei, sapient latin linguists
Sorin   Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:48 pm GMT
“Brennus Monday, April 25, 2005, 22:09 GMT

"Romanian" is right to some extent. While the Romanian language is not without its Vulgar Latin elements it contains more words of a Classical Latin nature to like - a sopti - "to whisper" from sopteo "to sigh", - înteleg - "I understand from Intellego (used by Cicero)

The only genuine person who knows the Romanian language in this forum is Brennus. The rest are just TABULA RASA infantile and insecure Latin trolls.

Cicero’s Classical Latin (intellego) – “to understand” preserved in Romanian (Inteleg).

Classical Latin---Intellego (understand)
Romanian --------Inteleg

Sardinian---------cumpresu
Italian-------------capire
Spanish-----------entender
Catalan-----------entendre
Portuguese-------entender
French------------comprendre

Classical Latin------------------------Romanian
1st sing.-----intellego ----------------inteleg
2nd sing.----intellegis --------------- intelegi
3rd sing.----intellegit---------------- intelege
1st plur --- -intellegimus------------ intelegem
2ns plur.----intellegitis-------------- intelegeti
3rd plur.----intellegunt --------------inteleg

Everyone can see how conservative is Romanian, preserving even Cicero’s Classical Latin. (intellego). The etymology for “Intelligence”

S.P.Q.R Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:00 am GMT
Yes, it is closer to classical latin, because the soldier who conquerd dacia where cicero,tacitus,caesar virgil and ovid.

No, Cicero didn't conquer Dacia (but only Romanian preserved “Intellego” from Cicero’s Latin.) Hence Romanian being the clossest to Classical Latin.

I gave you examples and academic references; you post only insults, spam, nonsense and infantilisms.

"Cainii latra, caravana trece."
"The dogs (TROLLS) bark, the caravan goes by."
PHilx   Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:24 pm GMT
Sorin, i'm italian
Intellegi? = Capisci?
Intellego! = Capsico!
Intelletto = Capito
intelligere = capire
The paradigma of the italian verb intellegere............
Asturianu   Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:35 pm GMT
Spanish; alternatives

intelectiva (feminine intellect, understanding )
intelecto (masculine intellect; brain(s) )
intelectual (adjective , also masculine and feminine noun intellectual.)
inteligencia (feminine intelligence )
inteligente (Intelligent)

you still haven't answered my question;

"by the way...Romanian word for"bull" is spelled "taur" how is it Pronounced? I mean Italian & spanish etc. have perserved the "falling of the o" or "u" in asturianu; "touru" in Asturian."

spanish & italian-"toro"
Asturianu "touru"
Portuguese "touro"

Classical Latin---Intellego (understand)
Romanian --------Inteleg

Wow, it's perserved. One word, and the "o" (antepenultimate) wasn't even perserved (sounds like french influence caused this, then again you guys did have FRENCH inspiration..now WE know why.) heheh
Philx   Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:42 pm GMT
It seems that sorin finds difficult ot admit that not only romanian preserved intellego......
Comparative formings   Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:05 pm GMT
Italian language : Viciniore (synthetic written form,) più vicino ( spoken language
Latin language : Vicinior , plus vicinum
both latin and italian form comparatives with ior or with plus ......
Pedro   Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:03 am GMT
>>"by the way...Romanian word for"bull" is spelled "taur" how is it Pronounced?

Just T-A-U-R . romenian is a fonético language like italian