Mr. Fields   Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:28 pm GMT
I often use "gridiron" to refer to American football. Anyone else use this word?
Guest   Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:36 pm GMT
Where are you from, Mr. Fields?
Mr. Fields   Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:39 pm GMT
B-radG   Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:57 pm GMT
Gridiron, eh? I've never heard of that word before. I just use ... uh ... Football.
Mr. Fields   Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:09 pm GMT
I use "Football" to refer to our own game. Otherwise it's "gridiron", "soccer", "rugby" etc.
Joel   Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:16 pm GMT
Yeah I use the term 'gridiron' and I'm from New Zealand.

'Football' is actually 'rugby' down here.
Jim   Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:19 am GMT
Mr. Fields, are you from Victoria? "Football" is Rugby in N.S.W. I used to call American Football "gridiron" until I found that that's not what the Americans call it now I just call it "American Football".
Mr. Field   Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:31 am GMT
Yes, I'm from Victoria. Do you normally capitalise the names of sports? I don't generally capitalise the names of sports unless they're included in the name of a team.
Mr. Fields   Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:33 am GMT
The "Mr. Field" above was a typo for "Mr. Fields".
Mr. Fields   Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:36 am GMT
The reason I'm asking is because I noticed you wrote "Rugby". I'd write that as "rugby".
american nic   Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:57 am GMT
Interesting...after googling 'gridiron', it seems that it is in fact the name of American football in Australia and New Zealand. I've actually never heard the word, and it is always simply called 'football' here. I wonder where the term came from.
Joel   Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:15 am GMT
The term 'gridiron' I believe is from the protective gear you guys wear in American football. Very different from rugby were there is no protective gear worn.
Joel   Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:17 am GMT
Even your neighbours the Canadians call it 'gridiron'.
Joel   Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:26 am GMT
Mr Fields concerning your Australian football. In New Zealand we would call it 'Ozkick' or 'Ozball'.
Uriel   Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:47 am GMT
I think I've heard the field itself referred to as the "gridiron", and I would undestand what you were talking about, but no, we just call it "football",, Your football we call "Australian rules football". Or so it says in the TV guide -- not a sports fan myself; never watched it.