American Literature vs British Literature

Uriel   Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:06 am GMT
Bit like saying mass is all about the wine and crackers at the end....
Stan   Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:28 pm GMT
Actually...I would have become a great priest in the Catholic church (had the rest of the family not digressed from the church). I grew up in a Catholic school, so the celebration of the Eucharist was like a daily affair: I grew up with Masses. And believe me when I say I know a lot about that Portuguese festival; Domingas, I was almost present for the celebration in Hawaii.

Infact, I probably know more than those who just attend for the Portuguese sopas (the soup with chourico, served over bread with mint). The patron saint of the festival is the benevolent Queen of Portugal, Isabel of Aragon; aka Isabella [canonized in 1625], I remember her story and Dinis (the husband).

I still remember the Espirito Santo, thanks giving and the celebration of the light, wisdom, peace and love. I remember Sister Kizito, a mean Portuguese Reverend Sister that used to give us quite some thrashing on the bum whenever we were naughty around the Convent; she made us learn all these things. And one of my best friends is about to become a Priest, he always like to talk about how great a Priest I would make.

I am certainly not new to the Catholic church; even to Potuguese Dioceses.
I am familiar with the "70x7" program, the Corpo-Santo Parish, "Our Lady of Fatima" etc.

DON'T EVEN GO THERE.
C6058AS   Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:35 pm GMT
"James Joyce was born in 1882 - ALL of Ireland was a part of Britain until 1922, so he was British for the first 40 years of his life."

Strictly speaking, he remained a British subject all his life, dying in 1941 before the Free State became a republic.
Uriel   Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:31 pm GMT
<<DON'T EVEN GO THERE. >>

YOU are the one who went there, Stan, with this little nugget: "I can assure you that the celebration was more about the food than the culture, even if no one told you that." ;)
Plantagenet   Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:32 pm GMT
All mediaeval English authors born under French rule are Frenchies. More so, all French authors born under German rule in World War II are Germans.
All American authors born before independence are also British and all Central and South American authors born before independence are Spanish. All Indian authors born before 1948 are also British. All Australian, Canadian and NZ authors are still British since the Queen of Brits is also their queen.

We'll leave it at this. It's so ridiculous! Adam get lost!
Stan   Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:28 pm GMT
<< All Australian, Canadian and NZ authors are still British since the Queen of Brits is also their queen. >>

I can't speak for the other countries, but I strongly reject the inclusion of Canada in that list.

James Joyce - British?

Tell that to the people of Dublin, especially those that walk by his monument everyday in St. Stephen's Green. James Joyce was Irish, his heart was Irish and will always be Irish; that is very much reflected in his writings though I wouldn't argue that fact the he once lived under British authority. The same way Sir William Wallace will always be Scottish even though Scotland was struggling with the English for independence in his lifetime.

<< ...same way someone from Iraq is an American >>

well...technically............all Iraqis were once.....oops...Americans.
Candy   Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:15 pm GMT
<<I can't speak for the other countries, but I strongly reject the inclusion of Canada in that list.>>

That list was a joke. Plantagenet was being sarcastic.

<<The same way Sir William Wallace will always be Scottish even though Scotland was struggling with the English for independence in his lifetime.>>

Well, not really, as 'the English' hadn't conquered Scotland. King Edward I of England claimed the throne of Scotland in 1296. The Battle of Stirling Bridge (as seen in Braveheart, without the bridge :) was in 1298, and Wallace was executed in 1305.
C6058AE   Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:31 pm GMT
Stan:

Stop getting excited about this "Queen of Brits" nonsense.

The Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland has no authority to rule over Canada; the Head of State for Canada is The Queen of Canada.

Even though they are the same person - Queen Elizabeth II - they are constitutionally different positions entirely.

Ditto for Australia, NZ, Jamaica and a few other countries.
Stan   Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:00 pm GMT
Just to emphasize the point of my earlier arguement with Uriel, a movie about race and intolerance in America ("CRASH") won "the best picture" award at the Oscars. And what a great movie it is - I've got to go see it again at the cinema.
Cool calm Damian UK   Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:32 pm GMT
I saw snippets of the Oscar ceremeony on TV this morning before going to work. I thought it was amazing to see the very marked difference in the acceptance speech delivery styles between Rachel Weisz (UK) and Reese Witherspoon (US)....one cool, calm and collected.....the other over emotional and blubby. Why do some American actresses give the impression that they are aiming at an Oscar by giving such emotionally charged speech performances accepting their Oscars in the first place?
Uriel   Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:22 am GMT
Stan, our argument was NOT about race or intolerance. It was about you saying that Americans do not remember their previous immigrant heritage. Which you refuted nicely yourself when you started going on about the Feast of the Holy Ghost and the chourico and the soup....

Try to keep your own statements straight. ;)
Hysterical Uriel   Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:32 am GMT
<<I saw snippets of the Oscar ceremeony on TV this morning before going to work. I thought it was amazing to see the very marked difference in the acceptance speech delivery styles between Rachel Weisz (UK) and Reese Witherspoon (US)....one cool, calm and collected.....the other over emotional and blubby. Why do some American actresses give the impression that they are aiming at an Oscar by giving such emotionally charged speech performances accepting their Oscars in the first place? >>

What's so great about pretending that winning an Oscar is no big deal? Of course it is. Why shouldn't people be happy and emotional about it? I know I would be! (And if the presenter was cute, he would not be safe from MY glee!)
Guest   Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:55 am GMT
The English gel was probably in two minds. Oscar - good, no more money worries, but bad, I've lost all credibility.
Uriel   Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:27 am GMT
We don't really prize the clamping down of all emotion as a virtue the way the British do. Except for midwesterners, I suppose. ;)
Disdainful Damian   Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:05 am GMT
Get a grip, Uriel!!!! Maybe it's just a California (or Hollywood) thing, I don't know, but I'm sorry....doing all the tears and hearts and flowers stuff and thanking granny and the English teacher back in primary school and everyone else from the mailman to the lady in the grocery store whose name can't be brought to mind right now is just a wee bit OTT........let alone insincere big time. The lovely Keira would no doubt have been displaying grace and cool blonde charm had she been up there accepting that trophy, and the equally lovely Dame Judi would not have let the "emotionally crippled, super restrained" Brit side down by blubbing her way through all her list of credits. Sorry, it's just not our style.......except for some of our footie players, and hey! many of them are foreigners come to think of it! :-)