Been in the bin?

Guest   Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:59 am GMT
I pronounce "been" like "bin" when speaking fast, and "ben" when speaking slow.
Sarosh from Pakistan   Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:11 am GMT
Pronunciaton does not depend on the spelling of a word, but the phonetic symbolls are given beside the word, which you can look up in any authentic dictionary such as: Oxford, Longman, Chamber, etc.

I am not a native speaker, but an ESL teacher, so I would like to quote what Oxford Advanced Learner says, ( I am afraid, I am unable to type the symbols, you can look up them by yourself ) according to they both are correct, specially in AmE 'bin'

What my gumption says it is the case of flunecy, we, even myself use 'bin' unless I need to emphasize. Then it comes out 'been'

Sarosh
Guest   Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:17 am GMT
"I didn't say it wasn't heard here, just that it is not common, although it may be frequently heard from those who have had few birthdays. "

Oh please, enough with the complex of old man syndrome.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:51 am GMT
"Bin" for "been" seems to be much more of an English thing....as In English English I min....sorry, mean.....and Southern English English at that. I thought maybe it was linked to being a wee bit posh but obviously I was wrong. Up here everybody says "been" just as it's spelt, as I said earlier. I think it's great that there are different regional/national pronunciation variantions for so many words in our Language. If such things happen in an ever so tiny but highly complex country such as this one, then it's just got to be amazing worldwide.... wherever English is spoken.
Damian   Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:52 am GMT
variations :-(

almost noon on a Sunday is ever so early......
Ted   Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:56 am GMT
"Nope. "too", "to" and "two" are all spelt differently, but pronounced the same way. Nothing different applies to "been" and "bin".

Presumably, Steve, you also pronounce "bean" as "bin", and consider "seen" and "sin", "dean" and "din", "keen" and "kin", "wean" and "win" to be homophones. Of course you must, or your argument means nothing, but you must be very hard to understand.
Thommo   Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:00 am GMT
"As in "been" which rhymes with "bean" which rhymes with "clean" which rhymes with "mean" which rhymes with "lean"

I'm with you, Damo. Of course Australian English and Scottish English are almost indistinguishable...
Guest   Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:24 am GMT
>>I'm with you, Damo. Of course Australian English and Scottish English are almost indistinguishable... <<

That's a new one. Last time I heard Ewcan McGregor and Sean Connery speak, they sounded nothing like Dame Edna or that Australian actor from House. The only thing they had in common was exotic sounding accents.
Tiffany   Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:34 am GMT
<<Of course Australian English and Scottish English are almost indistinguishable>>

How do you put your head around that one? I have trouble distinguishing the NZ accent from the Aussie accent at times - but Scottish and Australian? Nope, can't say there's ever been any confusion there.
Steve   Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:21 pm GMT
<<Presumably, Steve, you also pronounce "bean" as "bin", and consider "seen" and "sin", "dean" and "din", "keen" and "kin", "wean" and "win" to be homophones. Of course you must, or your argument means nothing, but you must be very hard to understand.>>

Tedd,

Nope, I'm from Southern England and none of those words are homonyms for me. Just "been" and "bin". Why does my argument mean nothing and must I be hard to understand?
Johnathan Mark   Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:18 am GMT
"been" is pronounced as either "ben" (northern US), "bean" (England?), or "bin" (Southern, Western? US). As for me, I say "ben"
Travis   Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:08 am GMT
>>"been" is pronounced as either "ben" (northern US), "bean" (England?), or "bin" (Southern, Western? US). As for me, I say "ben"<<

At least here in southeastern Wisconsin, which definitely falls in the northern US, "bin" (that is, [bI~:n]) is the only common pronunciation for "been", even though one might on occasion hear "ben" for such.
Lazar   Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:12 pm GMT
<<"been" is pronounced as either "ben" (northern US), "bean" (England?), or "bin" (Southern, Western? US). As for me, I say "ben">>

I always pronounce "been" as [bIn], and my impression is that this is the most common pronunciation here in Massachusetts. (I likewise consider myself to be in the northern US.)
Mike   Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:30 pm GMT
Yeah, "northern US" is too broad of a term. I'm definitely not in the northern US.
Guest   Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:14 am GMT
"<<It's not common here (Aus). Here "been" rhymes with "seen".>>

Well I'm from Australia and I do pronounce "been" as "bin" in fast speech"

Coincidently Amanda Vanstone (South Australian senator) used the "bin" for been pronunciation today when asked about the Queen: "The Queen has 'bin'..."