British/American comparison stylebook/grammar

mom2twoboys   Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:57 am GMT
Thommo--Ok, I see what you mean. Well, I try to teach the comparative and superlative, and at least 1/2 of my students are familiar with that from their middle school education.

My students are, for the most part, already familiar with English--they generally study it through middle school (form 1-5), but that doesn't mean that they actually know it. They usually are taught English in Chinese most of the way through (unless they attended an English as Mode of Instruction--EMI--school, in which everything except their Chinese courses was taught in English).

No, I don't bother telling them not to split infinitives. I look at it this way--if I can get them to a level of writing in which they will be able to enter a college writing class next year, then I've been successful. I think there are few college composition instructors who will mark students down for splitting infinitives (and now I'm thinking very carefully as I write, because that's also not something I pay close attention to!). And probably at least 1/2 of my students are not going to go on to college, or at least not in English. So really, I work mostly on organization rather than focusing on the "nuts and bolts."

However, as issues come up (such as the aforementioned "comma splices" which maybe I shouldn't stress about--I'm still not sure about that yet), I do address them in class (though my students are glassy-eyed about commas right now--I think I overdid it last week! LOL).

They have a basic background in grammar. It's just that, as often happens, their grammar knowledge has never been tied to their writing ability, and it's surprisingly hard to meld the two (for me, anyway--maybe some of you are laughing, saying, what IS the problem here!).

M
Larissa   Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:13 am GMT
Do Americans use "present/past progressive" instead of "present/past continuous"? Don't they use "present/past continuous" at all?

I know that Americans use simple past instead of the present perfect with words like: just, already, yet and ever. Could you give me an example with the word "ever" please? Thank you
Uriel   Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:17 am GMT
I would answer you if I knew what you were asking, but we were not taught the formal names of tenses in school, just how to use them. So I don't know what you mean by "progressive" and "continuous".
Larissa   Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:31 am GMT
While BrE uses the present perfect tense in the following sentences AmE uses the simple past tense:
BrE AmE
Have you cleaned your teeth?/Did you clean your teeth?
Have you done your homework yet?/Did you do your homework yet?
I've just got home./I just got home.
I've already eaten./I already ate.

Could you give me an example with the word "ever"?
Alicia   Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:56 am GMT
Yep, children in Hong Kong know all the grammar terminology but NOTHING about how to apply them -_-

The tutorial institutions here are great cash machines.

By the way, mom2twoboys, if you understand Cantonese and listen carefully to the English grammar tidbits on Roadshow Live (the bus programme), the woman basically says: "Your study at school is pointless... all you need to know for the HKCEE are... OUR TIPS AND TRICKS!! So here's a grammar tip..."

Heh :-p

Oh, and if you're interested, I can e-mail you some HKCEE English exam papers from past years for reference.
Alicia   Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:01 am GMT
Heh, I thought the debate on the split infinitive had ended around fifty years ago with the conclusion that it's not worth debating. The Fowler brothers certainly found nothing wrong with it.
Guest   Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:40 am GMT
The Fowlers also used plural verbs with singular nouns, e.g. "..there are still a number of ..."
Larissa   Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:49 pm GMT
Is that right to say: "Did you ever be to America" in American English, or should we say "Have you ever been to America" like in British English?
Thanks
brit   Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:03 pm GMT
tomato
Travis   Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:37 pm GMT
>>Is that right to say: "Did you ever be to America" in American English, or should we say "Have you ever been to America" like in British English?
Thanks<<

One would, yes, say "Have you ever been to the US" in North American English for such.
Larissa   Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:51 pm GMT
ok but would you say e.g.: "Did you ever try chocolate?" instead of "Have you ever tried chocolate?"???
Uriel   Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:04 pm GMT
<<While BrE uses the present perfect tense in the following sentences AmE uses the simple past tense:
BrE AmE
Have you cleaned your teeth?/Did you clean your teeth?
I've already eaten./I already ate. >>

Again, Larissa, this is just not true. Americans can say any of those sentences. We are not restricted to the second tense at all. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that we are.
Guest   Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:36 pm GMT
I think Larissa means "textbook" British and American English.
Rick Johnson   Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:32 am GMT
<<Have you cleaned your teeth?/Did you clean your teeth?
I've already eaten./I already ate. >>

Alright already!!

...........Whatever that means
Uriel   Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:42 am GMT
<<I think Larissa means "textbook" British and American English. >>

We learn BOTH tenses, in textbooks as well as from everyday example. I'm not sure where you all are getting the idea that we prefer "did" constructions over "have" constructions, 'cause that's just not the case. We use both of them all the time.