Tableau - how is it in English?

Magdalena   Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:15 pm GMT
Tableau - it's a latin word which means a picture of the graduates of the university. It usually is situated in the hall of the university.
For instance it looks so:
But how do we call it in English? If I use a word "tableau" - will it be understood?
Adam   Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:34 pm GMT
I suppose we would call it a poster.
JJM   Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:35 pm GMT
Actually, tableau is French.

Used in English, it generally refers to "a group of people attractively arranged (as if in a painting)" or a particular type of picture.
Uriel   Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:44 am GMT
"Tableau" was borrowed into English long ago, and while obviously French in origin, is also considered plain old English.
Ted   Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:57 am GMT
"Tableau" is not the word to use. "Class portrait" would be an appropriate term to use.
Adam   Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:31 am GMT
"Tableau" can also refer to a geographical landscape that is a high, flat piece of land.
Guest   Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:52 pm GMT
Adam, you're thinking of "plateau"
Uriel   Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:32 am GMT
In English, a tableau is usually a deliberately arranged and static scene, sort of like a still from a movie. It usually depicts some sort of narrative.
Magdalena   Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:01 pm GMT
Thank you very much for your help :)