i.e. and e.g.

Big ego   Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:39 pm GMT
What is the difference between i.e. and e.g. and can you tell me when you use one and not the other.
Guest   Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:49 pm GMT
e.g. = example
i.e. = explain
Amatire   Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:56 pm GMT
i.e. (id.est - in Latin) means "that is"; is often used for a single clarifying point. Something that is all-inclusive. When used correctly this abbreviation indicates an alternative way of stating something to that previously said in the sentence.

e.g. (exempli gratia - in Latin) means "for example", and can be used to list a number of things, in a much broader sense.

*"there are various meanings, in the media, of the word 'star' (e.g. TV star/film star/soap star/rock star..)"

*"The standard discount applies; i.e. 10%"

They are often interchangable - unofficially!

Ok I'm making most of this up from experience rather than definitive knowledge, as usual with native English speakers, we were never actually taught proper grammar, we just guess from what we've picked up since the cradle!
Boy   Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:03 pm GMT
There is one more that I don't understand. "or/and".
canaws   Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:08 pm GMT
and/or

Hula Birds are black and/or white.

Means...
Hula Birds are black, white, or black and white.
maria   Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:30 am GMT
Boy
By using and we sure aout that thing, but by or we arent sure &just want to mention that,i think.....
Sarah   Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:06 pm GMT
Boy,
According to my understanding," and" use to combine between two or more things. For example, <I read a novel and listen to music>, < I playing soccer, tennis and hokey>
."Or" use to choose between things like <Do you buy black or red pen?>, <I will go shopping or playing> .If I am wrong may any one correct me.
abc   Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:47 pm GMT
how about "lit."?
abc   Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:36 am GMT
so
Uriel   Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:52 pm GMT
Boy, and/or is used when you might have a choice as to whether you are combining or excluding. It is quite common, so you should learn how it is used.

It's a way of combining two ideas into one, and the easiest way to read such a sentence is to read it both ways; once with or, and once with and.

"Drunk driving is punishable with jail time and/or heavy fines."

So read it both ways:

Drunk driving is punishable with jail time or heavy fines.

Drunk driving is punishable by jail time and heavy fines.

So the three things that could happen to you are:

-being sent to jail only
- being fined only
- being sent to jail and fined as well
Uriel   Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:00 pm GMT
abc, "lit." usually stands for literally. It means that the phrase or statement should be taken word for word, and not in its figurative or idiomatic sense.