Alphabet

Duke   Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:08 pm GMT
This alphabet thing is confusing me. It is said to contain things called 'letters' but I don't know what they are. If only I could find these letters. Can someone help? Thanks in advance old chaps.
Mari   Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:36 pm GMT
I don't understand.
By alphabet do you mean the English Alphabet
or some letters from another language??
Sorry bro, I would only be able to help you out English-wise. ;0
Duke   Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:20 pm GMT
It's awfully kind of you to respond old chap.I was writing about the English language. I can't speak or type a word of it.
Jim   Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:09 am GMT
I shouldn't worry too much about it. You remember Little Bo Peep how she lost all her sheep. Well the alphabet is much the same. Leave it alone and the letters will come home wagging their tails behind them.
Mari   Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:53 am GMT
I appreciate your appreciation Duke but how are you typing in English if you don't "get the letters"??
If U are using another -type (or something that translates for you) than I think I know where U are coming from.
The English language is one of the most confusing in the world, literally. The rules for writing and gram-convention are always contradicting each other.
Get practice & you'll get perfect Good luck.
Bluey   Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:56 am GMT
English is hard.
Mari   Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:46 pm GMT
<<<<<always contradicting each other.>>>>>

Sorry about that Duke. Wasn't thinking.
What I meant by contradicting each other is that the grammar/spelling rules have "exceptions".
Txema   Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:32 pm GMT
Well guys, do not misunderstand the questions.

Duke's implicit question is "What's a letter (alphabet)?". Well A "letter" is a symbol you use to represent the consonant and vowel sounds (a,e,i,o,u). Sometimes you use two letters together to represent a "third" sound which is completely different to the two sounds those letters might represent if they are apart (Th, Ch, Sh, ng).

English alphabet has five vowel-letters (a,e,i,o,u) and twenty one consonant-letters (b,c,d,f,g,h,j,k,l,m,n,p,q,r,s,t,v,w,x,y,z). Notice that according to IPA there are 17 vowel sounds and 24 consonant sounds gropued as follows:[(s/z,"th"/"th", t/d)-(f/v,k/g,p/b)-(sh/ "y",ch/"dy", j, h)-(m/n/"ng", r/l, w)]. "th" has indeed two sounds: Strong and vibrating as in "there" and soft and non-vibrating as in "thanks.". I used "y" to represnt the sound of "s" in vision, leisure or "ge" in "rouge", "beige", "garage" which approaches a storng vibrating "sh". In turn, I used "dy" to represent "dg" as in "bridge", the "j" in "John" and 2g2 in "general.". Finally "ng" will represent the sound "ng" or "nk" in "spring" or "think".

I hope this help you a lot!