"Plz & thnx U"... Chat talk taking over the wo

Myrian   Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:23 pm GMT
I'm in an Honors Engish class and I have noticed that some of my classmates accidentally use "chat words" in their essays, responses, and papers. I personally do not have an MSN account or CHAT place but it's like everyday I see more and more people using these written words so casually. Is there a possibility that this "chat" will take over?
Dmn in Ednbgh Sctld   Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:49 pm GMT
Ur qte rite...itll sn tke ovr the whle wrld. Jst thnk of all the tme & spce we cn save...not 2 mntn mney. Surely evrybdy wrts lttrs ths wy now dnt they? Only a mttr of tme b4 we evn spk ths wy so thtll sve on breth. Txt spk is the ftre...so yes..."cht" wll tke ovr b4 lng.
UrL   Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:57 pm GMT
I prsnlly Dspiz ths habt. Rmnds me of follwng cars arnd tryng 2 read thr licnse pl8s.
Myrian   Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:58 pm GMT
Fun-E! (prvus lettr)
Sorry, I can't help but type normally now...
Realistically, is there a chance that the English language will transform into ths????

I don't see how anybody can take chat talk so seriously. By habit, I spell words the long way and usually with no abbreviations. Do chat writers come to use their "lingo" by habit??
Fredrik from Norway   Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:57 pm GMT
This was also very common among Mediavel monks, who abbrevated all the Latin words they wrote (parchment was expensive) to such an extent that today you often need to a special course to decipher their writings.
Myrian   Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:01 pm GMT
Really? A course for deciphering writing that was abbreviated???
That makes sense unless one of the reasons these Monks abbreviated these words was to make their reading/writing more simple. If they made it simple for their purposes isn't it ironic that these scripts are difficult to understand now?? X-ing out the factor that these words are in Latin.
JR   Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:23 am GMT
In my opinion, writing in "Chat" takes more effort than writing regularly, except for a couple common phrases.

brb = Be right back
u = You
ppl = People
ffr = "For friggin' reals"
g2g = Got to go
s2pd = (My own personal creation) Stupid
ur = You're, Your
wtf = What the - -
Yolanda   Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:40 pm GMT
I respect the need to abbreviate some words every once in a while however I too think that CHAT "talk" is a bad habit that won't "take over the world." Honestly, can you imagine the George Bush passing out Honors certificates with " I like 2 apreci8 ______ 4 her Xcellent per4mance. thnnx."???
Mari   Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:41 pm GMT
Well actually, seeing the things Bush has done in the past I wouldnt put it past him.
Guest   Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:46 pm GMT
It's beyond his ability...
Fredrik from Norway   Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:07 pm GMT
Imagine how enraged the Egyptians became when those vulgar Phoenicians started to write with signs for each sound instead of those noble, beautiful rebus-esque hieroglyphs!