Borrowed words.

Razalgool   Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:25 pm GMT
Sites which mention English's borrowed vocabulary are quite common, although not always consistent with each other. I have seen sites which have quoted English's non-native vocabulary as from as little as 40% to as high as 80%.
But that is not my main reason for posting. I was wondering if anyone knows of any other sites which have information about the borrowed vocabulary of other European languages such as German, French, Dutch are any others. I ask because I am finding it hard to come across this information. It seems that this information is not as well documented when it comes to other languages as it is with English.
Any help would be appreciated.
Razalgool.   Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:26 pm GMT
Sorry, I meant 'Or any others' not 'are any others'.
greg   Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:32 pm GMT
Les exemples pour le français sont très bien documentés.

Sur 60.000 mots français usuels, 8.600 sont d'origine étrangère : 14 %.

Sur 35.000 mots français courants, 4.200 sont des emprunts : 12 %.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language
Razalgool.   Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:03 am GMT
Thanks for your help. I will check out the information you have given me.
JR   Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:46 am GMT
There are no real loan words in Spanish, they mostly all have been changed to have the appropriate sound/congugations necessary.
Such as...
Scanner - Éscaner
E-Mail - Correo Electronico
That doesnt stop some people, especially hispanophones living in the United States, from using the English version of the word. These would most likely be clasified as Spanglish though, using verbs such as "Parquear" (to park, estacionar), and "Pushar" (To push, empujar), etc.
greg   Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:54 am GMT
JR : « There are no real loan words in Spanish ».

Et dans « mayor error de casting », y a pas d'emprunt ?
Guest   Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:24 pm GMT
D'accord!
Pete   Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:03 pm GMT
<<That doesnt stop some people, especially hispanophones living in the United States, from using the English version of the word. These would most likely be clasified as Spanglish though, using verbs such as "Parquear" (to park, estacionar), and "Pushar" (To push, empujar), etc>>

Dear JR:

In general, those words you mentioned, despite having changed, are taken from English, hence they are Anglicisms. Now, some of them are not yet accepted by the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language.

I have heard 'parquear', I've used it myself manytimes. 'Pushar' that sounds more like Portuguese 'Puxar', but there must be more. Sometimes expressions and verbs taken from English sound OK, some of them are horrible.

For instance I hate the expression 'ir para atras' or 'ir pa' atras', which is a direct translation of the English 'go back'. It sounds weird and quite dumb when in Spanish you could easily say 'volver' or 'regresar' or 'retornar', etc.

Kind regards
guest   Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:28 pm GMT