"has come to an end"

new_boy   Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:18 pm GMT
I have found this sentence over and over again. However, I am not really sure about how to use it in certain context. Can I use this word in this context:

"The contract has come to an end"
new_boy   Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:53 am GMT
Hello native speakers around the world.... or whoever that can confirm my problem here, I need your help here...

Thanks a lot.
Ant_222   Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:20 am GMT
«Come to an end» and «Put an end to»

Mean 'to be finished (by itself)' and 'to finish (something)' respectively.

Synonims are the verbs 'to end'
and 'to terminate'

"When I tired of writing by hand, I put an end it to it. I bought a typewriter."

"All that system crashes came to an end by themselfes afeter I replaced RAM"
Ant_222   Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:29 am GMT
Don't pay attention to my misprints and mistakes: I am not a native speaker.
Ben   Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:40 am GMT
"The contract has come to an end" = The contract has finished/ is no longer valid etc.

Ant_222,

"When I tired of writing by hand, I put an end it to it. I bought a typewriter." - A native speaker would know what you meant with this, but it wouldn't really be said. I can't explain why, but for some reason it doesn't wound right to use the 'put and end to' bit in this circumstance. An alternative is:

"When I'd had enough of writing by hand, I gave up and bought a typewriter"

"All that system crashes came to an end by themselfes afeter I replaced RAM" = All those system crashes came to an end by themselves after I replaced the/their RAM.

Regards,

Ben.
Ant_222   Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:10 pm GMT
Thanks, Ben.

As to the typewriter example, I found it unnatural too.
«To put an end to» is probably too "serious" to be applied to such a mere action. One can put an end to a war, curruption, but not to writing by hand.

Actually, I felt it because in Russian this phrase is exactly (word to word) the same and used in the same way.
Oyster   Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:20 pm GMT
Has come to the end
Chegou ao fim

would be more logical if compared to Portuguese
(definite article instead of indefinite)
new_boy   Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:24 am GMT
Hello,

Thanks a lot. Your explanation has improved my understanding. That's why I keep coming to this forum.