Closure vs. shutter

Bardioc   Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:27 pm GMT
I've to translate a technical text from German into English. It's about the waterproof closure of a casing. www.leo.org offers several translations for the German word ''Verschluß'', the most approbriate of them seem to be ''closure'' and ''shutter''. Which one would you prefer?
Ben   Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:42 pm GMT
Bardioc,

Could you give the whole sentence for context? I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Ben.
Bardioc   Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:17 pm GMT
It's not just one sentence, but several. It's about a casing intended to be made of plastics for a technical product with some openings of different sizes. These openings should be closed up watertightly with watertight rings and closures or shutters made of the same kind of plastics. Most likely, this product will never be produced. It's just a nice idea.

In leo, there are many translations for ''Verschluß'' and also many for ''Dichtungsring'', e. g. washer or gasket. The most neutral one, like it seems to me, is watertight ring. Imagine a casing made of plastics with some slots of approximatly 1 cm times 8 cm in it. This slots should be watertightly sealed by rubber rings which are pressed towards the casing by means of some plastic cap. I need a word for this cap and a word for the rubber ring. Maybe the ring also could consist of expanded material.
Ben   Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:17 pm GMT
Well, of the two (closure and shutter) I'd definitely go for 'shutter', and probably call the rubber ring a 'rubber seal' or some such thing; however, I need to think more- which will be easier tomorrow, as it's St. Patrick's Day today, and I'm not thinking that clearly ;).

Regards,
Ben.
Tiffany   Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:30 pm GMT
Unless it's a camera, I would go with "closure".
Guest   Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:35 pm GMT
<Unless it's a camera, I would go with "closure".>

Closure??? I always used "shutter" when referring to a camera.
Tiffany   Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:39 am GMT
As do I. That is the point. Please look up the word "unless".
Ben   Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:28 am GMT
Tiffany, what your first post means is "If it isn't a camera, use 'closure'".

Bardioc,

Go with shutters. If they're on the top of the product, you could use lid, but otherwise go with shutter. Closure is not appropriate here. Also, you could say it that each shutter is shut into a rubber seal.

Regards,

Ben.
Bardioc   Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:59 pm GMT
The openings should be on the sides and in the front and the rear. Lid isn't good, because it reminds on eye-lid or on something with hinges, which is not the case.
It isn't a camera, too. Why do you think, Ben, that ''closure'' isn't appropriate? Why is rubber seal better than watertight ring or sealing gasket?

According to www.leo.org the term ''side wall'' can be replaced with barrier. Is that correct? Does it sound reasonable to talk from the side walls or barriers of a casing or that there are openings on the barriers sealed by shutters or closures or eventually sealing caps?
Ben   Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:27 pm GMT
Bardioc,

Lid would be fine even if it wasn't on hinges. Boxes have lids on them. However, as I said, don't use 'lid' because they're on the sides.

I don't know why, but closure wouldn't be used here. It just sounds wrong. It doesn't really make any odds about the seal. Bother watertight ring and sealing gasket are fine, although something to be noted is that the latter is more techinical.

I would advise you not to use 'barriers'.

Regards,
Ben.
Bardioc   Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:14 pm GMT
Here's some text I wrote:

All openings in the casing must be made watertightly closeable with
special closures.
The closures must have sealings and can be seized with screws.
Every closure must hearably lock in place and in this state already
provide for a certain tightness.

% shutter = phot. Verschluß

According to another dictionary, shutter just refers to photography, so it is definitly the wrong word.

% Deckel = cover, lid

% Schraubverschluß = cap, top

% sealings = Abdichtungen
% to seize = festdrehen

% sealing cap [tech.] = die Dichtungskappe, der Verschlußdeckel
% sealing cap = die Verschlußkappe

% sealing push-in cap = Verschlußdeckel zum Eindrücken

% cap = die Abdeckkappe, der Aufsatz, der Deckel, die Haube, die Kappe
% cap = die Verschlußkappe
% cap = der Sockel

% Verschlußkappe = cap [tech.], cover, cowl, plug, breech block cover [tech.], closing cap, locking cap [tech.], screw cap [tech.], sealing cap

I'm searching an English term for German ''Verschlußkappe", so ''cap'', closing cap, locking cap, or sealing cap would be closest to the German term.

For the time being, I'll go with ''sealing cap''.

Do you think ''cap'' carries connotations of some kind of closure
which must be screwed?

I'm also searching for an English term for ''Dichtungsring'' which could be, according to www.leo.org:

% Dichtungsring = gasket, seal, washer, seal ring, sealing ring, sealing washer, staunching ring, water seal, watertight ring,

The term ''sealing gasket'' seems very appropriate, because it's a technical issue. But the word gasket is very little known by non native speakers, so ''watertight ring'' would be better. Can you tell about the ethymologie of ''gasket'' and ''washer''?

The term ''shut'' is not appropriate, I think, as you should lock it up manually.

Thanks in advance!
Ben   Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:24 am GMT
Urm............just out of curiosity, why are you translating this? Are you getting paid for it?

All openings in the casing must be made watertight with special shutters.
The openings must have seals around them. Every shutter must lock in place and be fastened securely to provide a seal, which can be done with screws.

(Note: I've rearranged some sentences - to make it more succinct and understandable)

Some obvious errors:

'hearably' = ????
'watertightly closeable' = X
'and in this state already provide for a certain tightness.' = I don't really know what you were trying to say here.

Regards,
Ben.
Candy   Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:37 am GMT
<<'hearably' = ???? >>

'Audibly', perhaps?
Bardioc   Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:14 am GMT
<<just out of curiosity, why are you translating this? Are you getting paid for it?>>

I already told you, Ben:

''... Most likely, this product will never be produced. It's just a nice idea.''

I'm not getting payed for it! It's an idea of mine for keeping homecomputer systems ''alive''. I had this idea in late april 1993 and wrote three articles in a German MSX magazin about it. I continued working on that idea in 1997 to 1999 until the disk drive of my MSX computer went defective.

I made a summary of these articles from 1993 to maybe publish it in a dutch MSX magazin. In the Netherlands, MSX system was very widespread, and there is still an active MSX szene. There are several meetings around the year, maybe the most important one is held in Bussum near Amsterdam every autumn.

Maybe you've heard about attempts to ''revive'' certain homcomputer systems like Commodore or MSX. I don't know about the Sinclair computers, but I would be glad if Sinclair computers would be reissued in some form, for nostalgia's sake. And, most important, there are attempts to revive the MSX system, see www.msx.org. Of course, even a revived MSX would never be able to compete with current PCs. But that's not the aim. The homecomputer era is part of our past, part of our (technological) history and culture. There are also attempts to preserve classical homecomputer games, see Project EGG. (You also find informations about it in www.msx.org.)

Thanks for trying to help making my sencences more understandable.
But let us talk about it and your proposals to make them better:

All openings in the casing must be made watertightly closeable with
special closures.
The closures must have sealings and can be seized with screws.
Every closure must hearably lock in place and in this state already
provide for a certain tightness.

<<All openings in the casing must be made watertight with special shutters.
The openings must have seals around them. Every shutter must lock in place and be fastened securely to provide a seal, which can be done with screws.>>

I'm still not sure which word is better: shutter, closure, or sealing cap or somthing else. Because it isn't a camera, according to Tiffany, I should go with closure. According to my dictionary, the term shutter refers to photography, maybe a part of a camera. So I think shutter is not the right term. Sealing cap seems very good to me, but, according to my dictionary, ''cap'' refers to some cover which can be turned to accomplish closure. But I'm not sure if cap really always bears this additional connotation. My sealing caps cannot be turned at all, they must be fastened with screws. The caps should be approximatly 1cm times 8 cm in size and be partly countersunk into the casing.

As the seal could be just a small, detachable piece of rubber, it could be around the openings or around the sealing cap.

hearably = you should be able to hear a click if the sealing cap (with the rubber seal) is inserted.

watertightly closeable = it can be locked up so that no water can enter

and in this state already provide for a certain tightness = If you just insert the sealing cap with the rubber seal on it, and after the click, (that's meant by ''this state'') you can assume that -- normally -- no water can enter (that's meant by ''already provide for a certain tightness''), even if the sealing cap isn't seized with the screws.

German ''einrasten'' = lock in place = that's what causes the click.

Yes, Candy, hearably is audiably, but the latter seems to me very unnatural. I looked up ''closeably'' in leo, but didn't get a hit. To me, if something can be closed, if you are able to close something, it's closeable.
Can I use ''lockable''?
Ben   Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:09 am GMT
Lockable is fine. I have given you my suggestions and thoughts in relation to 'shutter' and 'closure'. If you wish to disregard those and follow what Tiffany said, be my guest.

Regards,

Ben.