The state of British English

Uriel   Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:11 am GMT
Gah!

See? I was right. Hamburgers are bad for you, and the beets on top are there to remind you of that. Sin and penance in one neat and tidy package.
Guest   Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:15 am GMT
The prospect of a BBLT Burger is more mouth-watering than such piety so I could live side-by-side with my bundle of joy.
Uriel   Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:32 am GMT
BBLT?
Guest   Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:58 am GMT
DEBORAH: there's the answer then about your Russian friends and rancid peanut butter....maybe they thought you were trying to poison them in some new form of east/west cold war - peanut butter the secret weapon. I can't say for sure if I've ever tried rancid oil....don't think so anyway. I feel queasy all of a sudden

Beets....called beetroot over here. It's horrible...tastes like eating earthy stuff or something and as I worked in a supermarket I saw that it can be sold in packs ready to eat or else in slices in jars in something that looks like red wine vinegar. All the time I worked on the checkout...abt 18 months..I don't recall ever seeing anyone buy the stuff. It stains things badly too. I think beetroot should be reserved for feeding pigs...or goats as they eat anything. Edinburgh Zoo is just under two miles from where I live and I've only ever been there twice....the first time was with a school party the other with two girls. If you live near some attraction you never go there...weird. I was leaning on the fence looking at the wild goats and holding the zoo program in my hand. One of the goats wandered up to us, snatched the program out of my hand and chewed it up and swallowed the lot.
Damian   Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:02 am GMT
The last Guest was me. Not the BBLT Guest - I deny all knowledge of BBLT...mind boggling. Big Beefy Luscious Taste? whatever.....that Guest wasnae me.
Candy   Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:17 am GMT
Beetroot Bacon Lettuce Tomato????
Groundskeeper Wille   Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:46 am GMT
Ach that's a wee bit rich coming from a wee man whose fellow clansmen sneak cheap fodderr frrom theirr cattle to fatten up the haggis... so chumpy you can almost carrve it! If the ruminants and whisky canae metabolize the slimy offal and gristle, the clan will be in for a rrreal trrreat!

Yes, it's Scots for BSE!

Blood Sausage Enema?
Damian in Alba   Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:20 pm GMT
Och no Wullie mon! .. ye've nae ken o' yer stupit blethering....mair like Bountiful Scottish Excellence.

PS: where the ***** did you pick up an accent like that? what's with the over trrrrrilled rrrrrr's? I suspect the closest you've everrrr been to Scotland is the terrrminus of the Norrrrtherrrrn Line at Barrrrnet. :-)
Brattish   Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:25 pm GMT
shall we dahnce?

yeah, mum :p
Adam   Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:06 pm GMT
What in God's name is going on here?
Uriel   Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:31 am GMT
Well, it started with beets ... and went downhill from there!

Big Beefy Luscious Taste, Damian ... you bad boy, you!
Deborah   Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:44 am GMT
Damian said:

<< Beets....called beetroot over here. It's horrible...tastes like eating earthy stuff or something and as I worked in a supermarket I saw that it can be sold in packs ready to eat or else in slices in jars in something that looks like red wine vinegar. All the time I worked on the checkout...abt 18 months..I don't recall ever seeing anyone buy the stuff. It stains things badly too. >>

You're not supposed to eat that awful stuff in jars! That's only good for staining clothes and tablecloths.

Funny you should mention the earthy taste, as that's one of the things I like about beets, and raw mushrooms, too.
Guest   Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:47 am GMT
Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy

or MRD, mad-ruminant disease!
Demonic Damian in EH12   Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:50 am GMT
**Damian ... you bad boy, you!**

Och I know URIEL.....I just cannae help it.....my destiny in life.....we each have a cross to bear in life. :-(

I have to go to Airdrie today...another one of life's trials.
Uriel   Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:02 am GMT
Not a major scenic destination, I presume?