Accent Sample

Boy   Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:54 pm GMT
Tiffany, maybe you are right. The majority of Americans don't have a problem in understanding other foreign accents but why is it that there are so many accent reductions programs in the first place? Why is Ann Cook trying to fool people and getting money from them whose problems don't exist at all ?
Tiffany   Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:04 pm GMT
Don't ask me. I have no clue why there are so many. Perhaps the answer lies in foreign speakers who want to sound native? If an accent reduction class was offered in Italian, I would consider taking it. This is not because native Italians do not understand me, but rather for my own personal satisfaction.

Or perhaps these classes for people with really heavy accents? Do not get me wrong - any accent, if heavy enough, will be not understood by anyone. It's not a matter of nationality. In English, which has about 40 sounds, if one makes only 15 of these distinctly, of course there will be problems with understanding. This is the same if I was speaking Mandarin and could not distinguish the five tones. However, none of the souns or tones need to be perfect, just distinct enough for the native speakers to catch what is being said.
me   Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:37 pm GMT
Boy,

I believe it's because many employers don't hire people with accents.
Some of them do, especially when they want to save money and they hire contacted staff.
Besides that US is about marketing and how to make money from anything.
Boy   Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:04 am GMT
me,

<Besides that US is about marketing and how to make money from anything.>

I talked with that guy and asked him if he could tell me about my current accent without conducting that one hour assessment. I asked him that how close it is to a standard American accent. He told me: "somehow."
There is a sea gap b/w mine and that of American, this difference I know myself very well but he didn't give me a clear cut answer otherwise he could lose a valauble customer out of his hand. At the end of the day, earning some bucks was on his mind first than giving me a honest feedback.

Well money doesn't matter to me when it comes to acquire knowledge I would not mind paying money to anyone as long as they can give me honest feedback.
Cio   Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:19 am GMT
Well, I have been finding it really hard to get a non technical job in the US because of my accent. I am in computer science. I easily find jobs that need my technical expertise behind the scenes but if it's anything that requires talking to people then i get problems. I don't think my accent is unintelligible and I think I speak pretty good english, grammatically that is. So it's got to be my accent. And I have indeed been told to "soften" it.
Whatever that means!