Which language should a new country choose?

Bardioc   Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:38 am GMT
Why not choosing Quenya?
greg   Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:47 am GMT
gamal : oui mais le français reste malgré tout la 2e langue la plus apprise dans le monde. Autre particularité du français : ce fut le premier vernaculaire à mettre un terme définitif à l'hégémonie du latin et à s'imposer en Europe (à 2 reprises d'ailleurs). Autre avantage du français : c'est lui qui fournit à l'anglais ses plus belles parures.
knewman   Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:27 pm GMT
in my opinion:

english, chinese, french, german, japanese, spanish, russia and italy should be selected by the people freely.
JR   Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:07 am GMT
Well we're trying to get down to one language
gamal   Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:40 pm GMT
le finnois greg, le finnois

http://www.info-finlande.fr/index.php?id=1
your Insistence on an Exi   Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:21 am GMT
Insistence on an existing language is pathetic.

Let the people of various backgrounds creolise!
Marinheiro   Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:37 pm GMT
Timor definiu o Português

---------
Brasil 200.000.000
Português Brasileiro - Principal Língua da América do Sul
Viri Amaoro   Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:26 pm GMT
Yes but there are still those australian bastards trying to artificially push english down the throats of the timorese. I really hate those australians, their attitude, way of thinking etc. I think that australians, of all the anglo/english-speaking peoples are the ones who have more bad than god things to be said about then. They're just a bunch of racist, arrogant anglo rednecks.
greg   Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:08 pm GMT
gamal : allez, d'accord ; tope-là : c'est vendu pour le finnois !
Javi (Formerly JR)   Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:51 am GMT
How is it pathetic?
Marinheiro   Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:55 am GMT
Viri Amaoro

Bom ponto
Priscila, the Drag Queen !
Australians are but an urban victorian underclass. They level down with convicts, east ends female characters and jack the ripper. They were dickensonians tragic personas. Pirates of the pirates.
Enfim, a ralé sempre será ralé.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:31 am GMT
OK.....let's assume this mythical country becomes reality when some cataclysmic, seismic event causes Atlantis to rise again out of the ocean...a brand new (if a wee bit soggy) landmass filling half of the Atlantic Ocean...midway between Europe and the Americas....waiting to be colonised and populated....and ready for a new Official Language.

Let battle commence......would people move west out of Europe or east out of the Americas? Both, most probably, which would make the ultimate Linguistic scenario even more interesting.
knewman   Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:07 am GMT
English: large native population; international language; science and Technology; economy
Chinese: large native population; economy
French:international language
German: science and technology; economy
Japanese, economy; science and technology
Spanish: large native population; international language
JR   Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:06 pm GMT
Seeing as how Spain and Latin America are RIGHT THERE next to this "new landmass", I'd say it would be Spanish.

If they do creolize as someone above said, it would be heavily influenced by spanish.
Viri Amaoro   Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:38 pm GMT
I say, most certainly a fair amount of that new land mass would be settled and ruled by Portugal. If you look at the map, the european country most favourably facing the Atlantic is Portugal, not Spain. The Portuguese EEZ is the largest european EEZ in the Atlantic, by the way of Madeira and the Azores. We would of course help our capverdian brother-friends to lay a claim of their own, to counter the predictable but small claim the spaniards would lay through their canary islands. And I supose Brazil would certainly ocupy the southern tip of the land mass, just north of their S. Pedro and S. Paulo rocks.
As for the western half of Atlantis, let the americans and canadians have it...