Curious question for Brits

Sheryll   Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:01 pm GMT
Was Renee's accent, in the movie Bridget Jones, authentic British accent?
I was just curious.
natalie   Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:19 pm GMT
yer sounded ok
Guest   Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:15 am GMT
Would you kindly call us 'Britons' not 'Brit' or 'Britisher' please.
Guest   Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:31 am GMT
STFU U ANGLO SAXON BASTARD
Guest   Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:32 am GMT
Now, now. Temper-tantrums affect your medication.
Guest   Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:55 am GMT
No. She sounded like a north American trying to affect an English accent. Not her fault, as NAs simply can't do it, but the fault of whoever cast her in the role.
Guest   Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:52 am GMT
Yes, she sounded British.
Antonio   Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:55 pm GMT
Erm, which Guest is Guest..?
and the final verdict?
She sounded too nasal. not nice sounding, though very good
Guest   Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:41 am GMT
She sounded British more than anything. There are more nasally sounding Brits than her, like Jamie Oliver.
Rick Johnson   Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:40 am GMT
I thought that Renee's accent was quite authentic given the type of character and part of England the character lives in. It's not easy to do accents that sound authentic to a British audience, but I think she did a good job- at least in the first film; the second had a bit of the Dick Van Dykes about it!!

Any how, it was still better than Hugh Laurie's awful "American?" accent in "House"
AndyJ   Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:33 am GMT
I will give credit where credit's due.

As a Brit (I don't mind being called a Brit) with a reasonably sensitive ear, I have to say that although it is possible to find fault with Renee's accent in places, it was generally very good.

Certainly good enough to be almost unremarkable in any way as to spoil the film. I feel that anyone who claims otherwise is being rather unfair. I actually watch the film (again) just this past weekend, so it is fairly fresh in my mind.
Sheryll   Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:32 pm GMT
Sorry if I offended people with the term 'Brit'
Correction: Curious question for Britons / British Citizens

:)
Tom K.   Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:56 pm GMT
Aren't the UK equivalents of the Grammy Awards called "Brit Awards?"

Anyway I could probably do an accent that sounded totally authentic to a British audience, even better than most real actors. But then I'm not really human.
Jim C, York   Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:12 am GMT
Comment to the fella that said anglo-saxon bastard. if your gonna call names try Briton-anglo-saxon-danish bastard (removing dane depending which side of the danelaw border your refering to), and the Briton stands for what you might call the "celtic" blood in the english. not all of the ancient britons migrated to wales, cornwall and britanie. And if you have a problem with "anglo-saxons", do you have a problem with other migrants to our fair isle? Lets keep tribal differences to friendly banter and sport. and try being more accepting of fellow human beings.

Erm sorry about the rant, haha

Yeah she did an allright accent in the film,
I dont mind being called a brit, after all we call the americans yanks
I do mind being called a limie
And a note that not many people talk like the Queen in england, its just they are the ones that allways get the acting jobs in american films
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:24 pm GMT
It's just as well that the word "bastard" no longer carries its original meaning....a bastard now is a dastard, using an archaic word. Taking the original meaning of a bastard, Anglo Saxons are not on their own...the whole of the UK is awash with wee bastards ...and not so wee bastards.