Question on Tenses

kris   Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:29 pm GMT
I have the following questions regarding tenses:

1. " If I told you that I am leaving " Why " told " and not " tell ". what is the difference in meaning. I have heard both being used.

2. He says he wants to go out . Again ' says " and not " said " . What is the difference.

Can native speakers help explain please
Guest   Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:54 pm GMT
1. The difference is that when you use the past tense it means it's less likely to actually happen than when you use the present tense.

2. There's no real difference here. I think the present tense is just to emphasize that he still wants to go out.
Benquasha   Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:01 am GMT
The first one... I'm assuming you've only heard it and not read it? It seems to me that it is missing a word 'had' which is usually abreviated in speech, at least where I live.

"If I'd told you..." when speaking we tend to drop hard consonant sounds to make the words flow easier (maybe we're just lazy). So I think one is conditional and one is present although I'm not sure if those are the correct grammar words because I never got taught grammar in english. You can usually work out which one to use from the context of the sentence.

"If I'd told you that I'm leaving..." This implies that I didn't tell you that I am leaving and if I had maybe something else would have happened (the something else should make up the next part of this sentence)

"If I tell you that I'm leaving..." This is a question. I I do this will this happen? Sort of thing.

The second one... hmmm... I think most of the time this is used wrongly, a case of poor grammar rather than anything else.

"Says" is present tense and "said" is past tense.
Guest   Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:26 am GMT
You're wrong Benquasha...

"If I told you" and "If I'd told you" are different.

"If I told you I was leaving, what you do?"

"If I'd told you I was leaving, what what you have done?"
Guest   Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:30 am GMT
Sorry. "If I told you I was leaving, what would you do?" "If I'd told you I was leaving, what would you have done?"
Benquasha   Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:33 am GMT
Nya ok Guest but you're sentences doesn't make sense.

Do you mean...

"If I told you I was leaving, what would you do?"

"If I'd told I was leaving, what would you have done?"
Benquasha   Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:17 am GMT
Hmmm...

I guess you were correcting them as I was replying.