Use of "eh" in a sentence

Brennus   Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:28 am GMT
Frances,

Re: Wouldn't surprise me if Elvis is Scottish, his colouring was right to be Scottish-Celtic

From what I have read about Elvis Presley's ancestry, he was kind of a Heinz 57 (or "mutt" as some people might say). He had Scottish, English and German ancestors on his father's side of the family and English, Irish and Cherokee ancestors on his mother's side of the family. He was also a distant relative of former American president Jimmy Carter by way of a German immigrant named Andreas Preslar. Of course, this is not unusual. Most Americans today are mixtures although the English, Irish and Scottish elements are still very strong. Irish turns up even in Americans who don't have Irish surnames like Art Linkletter, Walt Disney, Valerie Bertinelli and Anita Bryant.

Australia has been receiving a lot of immigrants in the past 50 years too making the population of your country more of a mixture, I'm sure. A few Australian actors I've read about even have Greek and Turkish Greek last names. However, if the English language and English legal system can remain a unifying force in both our countries, I don't see where the infusion of new blood would do any harm or change things very much.
Frances   Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:41 am GMT
Brennus: yes, I heard Elvis was mixed...

In relation to Australia, yes there is some mixing and I suppose in the next few generations quite a bit! I went to school with a girl who had a Greek surname and she was very anglo-celtic looking (blue eyed blonde haired). She said that her grandfather was only Greek. My husband is also a quarter Greek and you'd never pick it if you saw him, but he carries and Anglo-Viking surname!