clocks on the forum are stuffed

Uriel   Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:00 pm GMT
Well, it spares you that "8 Eastern, 7 Central, 5 Pacific" nonsense. (Seems like they always skip the Mountain Time listing! One of these days, all forty-three of us are going to get together and write a strongly-worded letter....)
Alicia   Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:02 pm GMT
Haha, quite true, Uriel, considering that maybe 99% of China's western population is rural.

On the other hand, lu is correct as well: China's west is extremely poor, but it's poor with lots of televisions in farmhouses and aerials on thatched roofs, hehe. So, the rural population does need to refer to the time sometimes.

I guess it all works out because the farmers were never taught in their childhood to think "6AM is sunrise and 7PM is sunset". They probably just get up in the morning, see the sun rising, turn on their television, and take the 9AM or 10AM time for granted.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:02 pm GMT
Ooops.....no! It's 15:02hrs BST 3:02pm! I was looking at the time on screen which still says GMT! [Damian slinks off stage left....a wee bit red faced]
Uriel   Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:05 pm GMT
I have to admit that I really pay no attention to the GMT times on this forum, since right now to me it's 8:04 am, not 2:04 pm. And the sun has just risen...
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:17 pm GMT
08:16 hrs Uriel is having eggs, bacon, grilled tomatoes, sausages, mushrooms and toast and coffee for breakfast. 15:16hrs me is having a coffee and a ham and pickle baguette for a late lunch.
Jim C, York   Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:27 pm GMT
Ive just had a sandwhich from Tescos, I can't stand the place, I get stressed out getting in peoples way with my trolly, I eventualy gave up, went out side for a fag. I think its easyer to go to loads of little shops on one street. Better service as well.

To be honest I think that clocks should be done away with, I can drink 24hours now, so i dont need my watch. ;) haha.
Uriel   Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:51 pm GMT
Actually it's Rice Chex and milk, but the other breakfast sounds nice! I don't think I've ever grilled a tomato, though. Interesting.
Mxsmanic   Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:46 pm GMT
Arizona does not change time zones.
Uriel   Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:30 pm GMT
Technically true, but in practice, Arizona time is in line with one time zone or the other, depending on the season.
lu   Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:18 am GMT
What's Rice Chex?
Travis   Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:22 am GMT
>>What's Rice Chex?<<

Rice Chex is a breakfast cereal made out of, well, rice.
Guest   Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:36 am GMT
>Look at Australia -- they should really span three times zones of an hour each, but they've decided to make them half-hour time zones instead. Convenient for business, I suppose.

Not quite. Australia spans a bit over two hours in terms of longitude, and could have three different zones each an hour apart. The four eastern states, Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania are in the same time zone (GMT/UTC + 10,) based on 150 degrees East, while Western Australia is two hours behind, based on GMT + 8, based on 120E.

South Australia and the Northern Territory choose to be half an hour behind the eastern states instead of an hour, which would probably be more logical given the longitude of their major population centres.

New Zealand chose to nominate its time zone as GMT + 12, also for reasons of convenience, as its mean longitude places it about GMT + 11 and a half.
Kirk   Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:52 am GMT
<<To be honest I think that clocks should be done away with, I can drink 24hours now, so i dont need my watch. ;) haha.>>

It's 5 o' clock somewhere :)

<<I have to admit that I really pay no attention to the GMT times on this forum, since right now to me it's 8:04 am, not 2:04 pm. And the sun has just risen...>>

Yes, I pay little attention to the GMT times posted here, tho they are amusing.

<<Technically true, but in practice, Arizona time is in line with one time zone or the other, depending on the season.>>

Those weirdos--sometimes when I cross the state line to Arizona I have to change the clock, other times I don't.

<<Actually it's Rice Chex and milk>>

Yum--altho I have to say I have a special place in my heart for Wheat Chex.
Guest   Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:06 pm GMT
Early lunch today......it's 13:05 BST here in Bonnie Scotland (that's 12:05 GMT). I can't understand exactly why GMT appears to show on computers outside the UK in this Forum. I would have thought that the times would co-incide with your local time zones wherever you happen to be in the Great Beyond. When the clock time went forward an hour a few days ago my computer automatically changed to BST but Antimoon continues to show GMT.

I wonder if Rice Chex is the same as Rice Krispies? My latest fave cereal is organic millet rice oatbran flakes.....gustie! Maybe that's like Rice Chex?

***eggs, bacon, grilled tomatoes, sausages, mushrooms and toast and coffee for breakfast***

That is more or less known as a "fry-up" here in the UK but working people only have time for this nosh at weekends or holidays really because of time factors, unless you drop into an "all day breakfast" place in your break times. Healthwise it should all be grilled, Uriel, not just the tomatoes! If you just ask for "the whole works" you get the lot, including black pudding and fried bread, toast and preserves which I forgot to mention. Usually sets many people up for the day! Most hotels in the UK offer you a choice of "Full Scottish (or Full English) breakfast"...the whole works as I say, ...or a Continental breakfast...rolls, toast, croissants, cold meats, eggs, fruit, muffins, preserves etc.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:07 pm GMT
Guest in last post was moi