casual greeting

Uriel   Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:07 pm GMT
My guess is in real life it probably doesn't, but you know how people get on this forum, sometimes. Kind of like that spurious Germanic-Latin rivalry that nobody else has ever heard of....
Jim C, York   Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:35 pm GMT
I hate packs of drunken women on hen nights, all wearing the same t-shirt, the bride's saying "Slag" or "Slapper" on it, (and they always look like one). You hear them cackling and sqwuaking "HIYAAAAA!" in that high pitch that pierces to you core, causing you to shudder and spill your pint. In comparison "hi" seems refined and understated, so no one should get pissed of with it.
Uriel   Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:53 pm GMT
Oh, I thought men LIKED hanging out with drunken women! Isn't that why they're always buying us drinks? ;)
Philly   Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:56 pm GMT
I hate 'how it do', meaning sup (wassup). Aghhh.
What am i supposed to say back? It does well?
Jim C, York   Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:35 am GMT
Women yes, ferrel ladettes no.
The buying you drinks thing. There was an old fella I knew called Reg, who used to talk about his special drink concoction that he bought his wife when he was courting her, which he called "the panty dropper". Some things never change ;)

Philly, I was on holiday in Wales a couple of years ago, lads kept asking one of my mates "give us a ciggie, isn't it!" My mate simply answerd "yes it is" and walked off, leaving them bewilderd.
Ethoglow   Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:36 am GMT
Generally English greetings are more of a questional context rather than a social greeting context.

-How are you doing?
-Fine thank you, and yourself?

-Howdy?
-Hey there what are you up to?
-Not a whole lot.

As with the second example oftentimes English speakers reply to a questional greeting with a questional greeting.

as in the slang example:

Hey whats up?
Whats up, man?
Not a whole lot, how about you?
same, same.

But, there are people out there who still say, hello, hi, and casual time place greetings such as: good morning, good afternoon, etc...

In fact it is almost as though English is a rude language, because we skip the entire greeting portion of a conversation and jump right into asking questions.

note: I do not know if there is such a thing as a questional or inquisitorial greeting... I named it as such because there really is no other way, that I know of to explain it.
Rude Boy   Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:07 am GMT
Hi antimooners!

Last night I was looking at the sun, suddenly I started antimooning. Then I began to visit forum to discuss some issues of language politics. When I go to bed I laugh and say - How I did jokes! Those guys are retarded. Obviously I know more English than they. Ooh hoo, wow!