Pronunciation of "background"

Lazar   Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:52 pm GMT
I'm curious about how people pronounce "background". I pronounce it as ["b{kraUnd], with no [g], as if it were "back-round". Does anyone else do this?
Benny   Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:10 pm GMT
Ye. I do summat similar. 'cept I pronounce it "Bah-Kround" With the emphasis on the "Bah" and the "Kround" much softer.
Travis   Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:10 pm GMT
I myself pronounce it similarly, as ["bE{k:\Ra:U~nt_X] or ["bE{kRa:U~nt_X], simply because at least in my dialect at least, no obstruents of differing voicing may come next to each other (even across word boundaries), whatever the reason for their differing voicing may be; I strongly suspect this is also the case for many if not most other NAE dialects as well.

As for the use of half-voicing in [k:\], what that is marking is actually the normal length of a fortis unvoiced stop followed by that of a lenis unvoiced stop resulting from the devoicing of /g/; however in some instances I seem to lose said /g/ altogether rather than assimilating it to a preceding /k/, like in your example.
Uriel   Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:32 pm GMT
Lazar -- I say it just like you.
Jim C, York   Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:01 am GMT
I say it the way its written. If I try it your way I sound like a Scouser.
Eve   Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:02 am GMT
The Frank are not a predominant group. during the invasion their number was estimated to less than 100 000, over a gallo-roman population of 20 million people !! The Frankish influence is negligeable.
On the other hand, other germanic invaders have settled in other regions (wisigoths in the south and in Spain), burgondians in the east, etc.
in the south most cities were Greek ports long time before roman invaions; the Greek influence in the mediterranean region was very deep.
And , finally was represent 100 000 Franks in comparision with millions of Italian, Spanish, Polish, Portuguese , North Africans and African Immigrants ?? Very few; Linguistically we have only less than 500 words of Frankish origin - let's compare it with words with Greek or Arabic origins !... The main thing that the Franks left to us is their name; that's all. but this is not because "french" and "frank" look similar that nowadays they have the same meaning. German or Dutch people are "ethnically " a thousand times more "franks" than us.
Guest   Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:32 am GMT
Franks, Burgundians, Visigoths, Vandals, Lomdards, Ostrogoths all over France... same thing really. But whoever "us" is, makes such sound like mongrels or aliens... a thousand times? Gosh, why not 999 or 25 times?
Guest   Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:38 am GMT
Anyway what does ethnicity have to do with this thread?
Guest   Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:45 am GMT
But whoever "us" is, makes such sound like mongrels or aliens... a thousand times? Gosh, why not 999 or 25 times? Sure, why not?

My girlfriend's been Jim. I know him since he was six in Poland. I taught him English. He's still leaning English. Who cares, guys?
Guest   Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:00 am GMT
Me! I do.
Mannix JC   Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:12 pm GMT
<<I'm curious about how people pronounce "background". I pronounce it as ["b{kraUnd], with no [g], as if it were "back-round". Does anyone else do this>>

That's interesting. The /g/ isn't dropped in my pronunciation. I pronounce it as /bak.graUn/ with a fortis fully voiced /k/.
meesh   Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:20 pm GMT
i pronounce it like it is: back ground

every letter counts =)
Tiffany   Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:59 pm GMT
Sometimes I drop the g, sometimes I don't. I would say I usually drop the 'g' though. Now I want to the Almond Joy/Mounds commercial tune...
Tiffany   Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:07 am GMT
Yeah, I'm often so lazy that I drop the "g" in "background".
Lazar   Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:17 am GMT
Me too. In fact, I had to start to a thread just to discuss my lazy pronunciation.