Have you ever gone to...

Tommie   Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:28 am GMT
Is this correct? It sound strange to me.

Have you ever gone to a concert?

Shouldn't it be "been to a concert"?
Kirk   Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:43 am GMT
Either one is fine :)
Uriel   Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:27 pm GMT
No, it's not strange at all. "Gone to" and "been to" are often interchangeable.
Tommie   Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:27 pm GMT
How about...

"Have you ever gone to America?"
Uriel   Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:09 pm GMT
Yes. Perfectly acceptable.
Guest   Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:17 pm GMT
!!!

<Yes. Perfectly acceptable. >

Nonsense!!
Candy   Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:27 pm GMT
What are you talking about, Guest?? Uriel is perfectly correct. "Have you ever gone to America?" is absolutely fine. Personally I'd prefer to use 'been' here, but 'been' and 'gone' are often interchangeable.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:50 pm GMT
Have you ever gone to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllandisiliogogogoch? I recommend it for a day out...not much there mind you - except a train station with very looooooooonnngggg station name plates, a couple of pubs, a church, a few houses and road sign posts to Llanfairmathafarneithaf, Llanfihangelynnowhyn, Gwalchmai and Pengorffwysfa. Wales is very beautiful but following bilingual roadsigns and looking at village and town placename signs is a nightmare. My mate from Wales tells me that it takes a brave soul from outside Wales to stop and ask for directions.

Talking about that mate...he has driven all the way up from Wales to Edinburgh for my birthday party tonight! Isn't that cool of him? ;-)
Candy   Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:40 pm GMT
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Damian, happy birthday to you! :-)