a very narrow understanding

tommie   Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:43 pm GMT
From OnestopEnglish.

http://www.onestopenglish.com/Grammar/Reference/Modals/modals1.htm

"Student: Can I go to the bathroom sir?

Teacher: I’m sure you can, but you may not.

This old joke plays on different interpretations of can. The student is asking for permission, whereas the teacher is talking about ability. Some people might say that the student’s use of can is incorrect (i.e. the student should say May I go to the bathroom?). This view, however, is based on of modality and modal verbs in English."

Is the part in blue true?
tommie   Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:45 pm GMT
Sorry, it was meant say:

This view, however, is based on a very narrow understandingof modality and modal verbs in English."
Kirk   Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:51 pm GMT
"May" is in some instances a more polite/reserved form of "can" but to insist that "can" only refers to ability is silly and not consistent with how people speak. "Can I go to the bathroom?" or "May I go to the bathroom?" both convey the same meaning, except "may" sounds just a little bit more formal and polite.
american nic   Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:02 am GMT
I'd agree, they both mean the same thing, with 'may' sounding more formal/polite.
nic   Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:14 am GMT
Teacher: I’m sure you can, but you may not.

This old joke plays on different interpretations of can. The student is asking for permission, whereas the teacher is talking about ability. Some people might say that the student’s use of can is incorrect (i.e. the student should say May I go to the bathroom?). This view, however, is based on of modality and modal verbs in English."
ă stands for 'eh-ah, not ah "cat, map, camp, sad..."
ãr stands for 'eh-ah(-r) "care, fair, bear, where..."

ā stands for 'eh-ee "cake, pain, vein, prey, day, sleigh..."
--------------------------------
ĕ stands for eh "bed, sweat, dead, death, health..."
er stands for eh~(-r) "bird, verb, fur, work, word..."

ē stands for ee / e "meat, beet, bee, sea, piece, field..."
--------------------------------
ĭ stands for 'ee-eh / ih "fish, busy, building, bitch..."
ĭ stands for 'ee-ah(-r) "beer, fear, weird, mere..."