Pronunciation and mouth muscles

Guest   Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:14 pm GMT
Hi there guys

I have a question about Pronunciation, I've been learning english pronunciation but I still feel that my mouth muscles aren't strong enough because I can't stretch out the sounds when trying to sing ?? How long does it take to get my mouth muscles strong enough to be able to stretch the sounds and raise my sound without any problem, native speakers of english are lucky..

Thanks
JakubikF   Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:15 pm GMT
I think that it dependes on a person how long it takes. Generally it's hardly possible to get rid of native language accent, I guess.
lu   Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:24 am GMT
You can , but it'll take years to accomplish that.
Presley.   Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:04 am GMT
Some people have a natural talent of repeating things they hear precisely. I know someone who learned English in two years, and he had no accent whatsoever. I was rather shocked, especially because he was Japanese, and you know how their accents are...

It's also funny that you mention singing. I have noticed that accents are less noticable when one is singing.
Mxsmanic   Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:42 am GMT
The muscles of articulation are all used for all languages. If you have trouble with pronunciation, it's psychological, not physiological. Your muscles will articulate all sounds correctly if your brain tells them to.

You aren't Asian by any chance, are you? Asians are particularly prone to bizarre beliefs about muscles and tongue movement and other imaginary physical obstacles to correct pronunciation. I understand Koreans even undergo useless surgery in an attempt to improve their English pronunciation.

Anyway, eliminating a foreign accent is always possible, but it requires a lot of conscious effort. Studying phonetics can help a lot. Practice makes perfect.

Many people are able to sing without an accent. I haven't found a satisfactory explanation of this, but one possibility is that a different part of the brain participates in singing, and that it is better at imitating unusual sounds than the part that handles ordinary speech. But that's just conjecture. The fact that people can sing without an accent does demonstrate that it's not a question of muscles, though.

Some people are indeed very good at producing unfamiliar sounds. I have some students who can immediately pronounce something in English without an accent (although doing this consistently and instinctively in normal speech requires practice), and others who cannot produce unfamiliar sounds even after hours of effort.

People with open minds and an attraction to novelty seem to do better on pronunciation. People who strongly identify with their language and are afraid of new things do worse. People who are afraid of sounding "stupid" have a lot of trouble with pronunciation.
Guest   Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:38 am GMT
>>Many people are able to sing without an accent. I haven't found a satisfactory explanation of this,<<

Simple. I can tell you. It's an American accent.
Guest   Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:10 am GMT
Of course it takes an American to call it "accentless" when it's a common style of pseudo-American singing.
Guest   Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:28 pm GMT
Is it impossible to a person to speak like a native??
What is the difference between the american's mouth and the english learner's mouth??

Americans have different sound and that sound is the important thing..
I think it is something possible because I've seen people like Shikeh Hamza Yusuf, an american muslim talks arabic like a native and also I've seen another person I thought he is arabic and then I figured out that he isn't arabic, I thought he was arabic because he talked just like an arabic despite he is an indian, I was shocked, how did he talk like an arabic does!!
Setep En Ra, W   Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:05 am GMT
What would you know that could help a person with Studdering?
Guest   Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:40 am GMT
<What would you know that could help a person with Studdering?>

Well here are some basic rules to combat studdering

1) Don't speak to fast!

2) Think before you speak!

Sorry this isn't meant to offend you but just ideas. I myself as a child has this exact problem.
Mxsmanic   Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:04 pm GMT
Yes, it is possible to speak like a native, if one is well motivated. It takes a lot of practice.

Stuttering is best addressed by a speech therapist.
Guest   Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:38 pm GMT
-----------------------------celticcelticceltic
-----------------------------celtic