Does it sound right?

Guest   Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:13 am GMT
To add to that, if you wanted to specifically ask for "A", you would say "What letter grade did you get?"
Uriel   Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:08 pm GMT
Marks and grades are the same thing. Everybody knows this. Being marked off or marked wrong is a completely different usage of the word "mark".
Guest   Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:03 pm GMT
>>Marks and grades are the same thing.<<

Obviously not to that Californian.
Guest   Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:53 pm GMT
"Obviously not to that Californian."

I am that person, and I believe I am the one who said they are the same thing. "Mark" is not used where I live, though. The one I was arguing with claimed they were different.
Guest   Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:57 pm GMT
Looking back, I think I see where you may have gotten confused. The "Guest" who said they are different was not the same "Guest" as me.
lu   Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:23 am GMT
Some countries use a 100 or 150 mark system , not ABCD or percentage.
Guest   Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:41 am GMT
How many times do I have to tell you that we call that a grade as well?
lu   Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:10 am GMT
I know you do.
I just want to say that in some countries those are two different things and have different names which English can't describe.
Guest   Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:31 am GMT
I wouldn't say English can't describe the differences.

A,B,C,D,F = letter grade
89% = percentage
120/150 = score

all of the above = grade
lu   Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:54 am GMT
Well score is the right word.
But I still don't think grade is the most appropriate word, non-native speakers could be confused.
Dead Heat   Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:03 am GMT
So the term "mark" is not used by the 3M at all? In other countries, a teacher would allocate marks out of a possible 10, 20, or 100 for that element of the exam or assignment, then grade the results into blocks, or bands if you like, so that say the top 10% get graded A, the next 15% are graded B and so on. The "grade" is a band; the actual mark can vary within the limits of that band.

Surely even 3M teachers/tutors/lecturers must go through a similar process in order to "grade" results. Fourteen out of twenty isn't a grade: it's a fraction, which equates to 70%, so the person who got those 14 somethings has just scraped into the grade of B - or just missed, if the quota for that subject required 15 somethings or 75% in order to get graded B.

If they insist on eschewing the term mark - which after all simply comes from the process of making some sort of a mark against an answer during the process of "correcting" or perusing a paper - there must be some other term used instead by those of the 3M who teach.

Or else everyone who gets an A comes equal first...
Guest   Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:42 am GMT
I'm afraid I don't know what "3M" is. Anyway, I assure you that we do not use the word "mark". We sometimes call grading a test "scoring a test" if it's on a scantron, though, if that's what you mean.